Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model Y Fit in my slightly uneven garage door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This question has been asked before, but I couldn’t find a great answer in relation to the current (2023) Model Y.

I have a small garage door, width of the opening is just under 8 feet, say 93-94 inches, or so. The opening is not perfectly rectangular, there is a slight narrowing of the opening in one spot, maybe taking it down to 90-92. This is because it was installed by someone who had no idea what they were doing (usually that would mean me, but not in this case, I probably would have done a worse job, really). Once inside the garage it is actually very large, so there is no concern about opening doors or anything like that (doors can open fully without hitting anything, the roof is very high so the trunk can fully open. The inside is paved, but it is about 3 inches raised from the exterior level, with a tight ramp up onto the surface inside the door. I’ve parked my smaller car in the space, and it’s a bit nerve wracking, but otherwise fine. For reference, the car I have is about 2 inches narrower than the Y.

I know the physical dimensions of the Model Y, I got them directly from the Tesla manual for the 2023 car. What I’m asking more of is how the experience of parking the car in a space like that is. Both pulling in and backing out.

I’d park the car outside, but I live outside the city and there is a lot of untended land around me. Past cars have been chewed by pack rats. I solved the problem on my last couple cars by leaving the hood up all the time, but that doesn’t really work for the Model Y, plus there is a lot more wiring in the Y than in those cars. Rabbits are a big problem in my ICE car, twice they have chewed wires (including the starter wire once), but the Y seems like it has fewer spaces where a rabbit would want to climb up, so I’m mostly just worried about mice and packrats.

Here are the relevant dimensions from the owner's manual. With the mirrors folded the car is 77.9" wide. So you should six inches more or less on each side. Should be a cinch to get through the door.
1696465749393.png

Here are the relevant dimensions from the owner's manual. With the mirrors folded the car is 77.9" wide. So you should six inches more or less on each side. Should be a cinch to get through the door.
View attachment 979716
That’s my hope, but basically no way to test it until I have it. Sadly I live a long way from a service center so getting a car to test is impossible. The numbers look like it should work (I got them from tesla, and they’re identical to what you just posted). My worry isn’t really metric, but rather mechanical. Is it crappy to park a car in a tiny garage door like that? I haven’t really tried enough to have a good sense of it.

I admit, this is just me worrying, and probably fits into that same category as my wondering if the breaker box in there even has 240v to it. It might? Who knows until I call an electrician.

I also admit to only really worrying about it because of the “no hood to open to discourage rats” issue.

It’s funny too, because I never worried about this at all when I bought my Lexus, I just parked it in the yard with the hood up!

Thanks for responding!

I've never tried parking in a tight garage like that and I don't have to drive in with the mirrors folded like you will, however I do pull in with my passenger side mirror within 1/2 inch of the rubber gasket like thing installed at the edge of our garage door. It isn't hard for me to do that - and I never hit the side and never end up more than 1 inch away so it seems like 6 inches on each side should be pretty easy to do.

I always use Creep mode * when driving my Model Y primarily because I want my right foot on the brake pedal as I pull into and exit my garage. My garage door is double-wide; my concern is not driving into the wall at the back of the garage. I highly recommend you use Creep mode when entering/exiting a tight parking space or garage. Experiment with Hold mode elsewhere.

When in Creep mode the Tesla Model Y will creep forward (when in Drive) or backwards (when in Reverse), just like an ICE vehicle with an automatic transmission. If you currently drive a non-electric vehicle with an automatic transmission then driving in Creep mode will be familiar.

I have two cars and a 2 car garage. When driving in, each car mirror is about 1-2 inch from the rubber gasket. I even back in my Tesla M3, no problem at all. By putting a red tape on the floor as a guide, it's easy to back the Tesla in. Tesla screen also shows how close it's back is from the obstacle. I stop at 24 inches. I have room to walk around the Tesla but not the other one. And the rear trunk can be open with plenty of room.
The other car is a 10 yrs old minivan, parked at it's right spot every time by looking at the mirror on the wall in front. How far to go in is a different trick.
Note: The license plate is the paper one from Tesla, still waiting for real ones from DMV.

I think the OP has plenty of opening to park his car inside.

Attachments

• 20231005_155244.jpg
    20231005_155244.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 64
I usually back my car in with my mirrors unfolded, but you can definitely back it with them folded.
The repeater cameras, and the backup camera will help guide you in.
To aid with making sure I hit all the right marks, I've put reflective tape down on my garage floor, and on a tool chest that's in the corner of my car - as reference points. They're also pretty much inline with the rear camera - with the steering lines, so as long as those steering lines are spot on with the marks on the floor - I could safely backup without even looking at the repeaters cameras, or mirrors - though I still don't do that.

I also have one of those yellow, tire stopper things - to make sure I'm far enough back to clear my garage door.

Lastly, you might look at the S3XY buttons if you want a physical button to fold your mirrors.
I backup with my mirrors out - but I fold them when I park. Easier than hunting through the screen, or voice commands.

How about measuring the opening? Measure from the part of the left side that sticks out the most to the part on the right side that sticks out the most. Pretty basic thing to do. Your other question about 240V is simple too. A picture or two will reveal. Picture of the panel and a picture of the wires leading into your house.