Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gap insurance?

MY_Boy_Blue

Jan 31, 2021
USA
Did anyone get Gap Insurance on their loan through Tesla? I emailed finance and they said all they handle is leases and directed me to my soon to be lender to add it.

I called Wells Fargo and apparently they don’t offer it... they said it’s a 3rd party thing offered at dealers.

Gap Insurance is a must for me. A previous car was totaled at 1 year old (to the day) and thanks to Gap Insurance, I didn’t gave to pay $16k out of pocket when they totaled the car

Mar 2, 2021
Michigan
Put money down on the car. If you don't have money to put down, get a cheaper car and overpay on it then next time youll have money to put down. You shouldn't buy a new car and finance for 60-72 months to where if you total it, you get less than the loan of the car. Now you are paying for to add gap insurance to protect not being able to afford the car.....

Reactions: hnguy054

MY_Boy_Blue

Jan 31, 2021
USA
Put money down on the car. If you don't have money to put down, get a cheaper car and overpay on it then next time youll have money to put down. You shouldn't buy a new car and finance for 60-72 months to where if you total it, you get less than the loan of the car. Now you are paying for to add gap insurance to protect not being able to afford the car.....
Wasn’t looking for a finance lesson, thanks... deff could pay cash, but my investments will make more than the 2% interest I’ll pay. Given the 35k miles I drive a year, I’ll be upside down for a while, even on a 3 or 4 year loan and the $400-500 that gap Insurance costs is an afterthought. To me it makes more sense to get it.

But you do you and keep giving unsolicited advice on the internet. I’m sure it’s very appreciated :)

Last edited:

acarney

Jul 9, 2019
Richland, WA
Did anyone get Gap Insurance on their loan through Tesla? I emailed finance and they said all they handle is leases and directed me to my soon to be lender to add it.

I called Wells Fargo and apparently they don’t offer it... they said it’s a 3rd party thing offered at dealers.

Gap Insurance is a must for me. A previous car was totaled at 1 year old (to the day) and thanks to Gap Insurance, I didn’t gave to pay $16k out of pocket when they totaled the car

If a lender doesn’t offer it, usually an insurance provider does. It may be described as “loan/lease payoff” and is usually paid as part of your premium. You can drop it when you feel you’ve paid enough off that it’s no longer needed.

While it’s always good to put money down, right now money is so cheap with ~2% (and even lower) rates that it’s probably better not putting it down if you feel stable in your work and can afford a high payment. Keep that money making money for you and just pay monthly.

DeenDeluxe

Jul 2, 2018
Denver

I declined the Gap insurance, since I'm financing less than a third of the car's price. Living on the wild side,

Reactions: WolfHunter1043

UT4EVER

Jun 22, 2020
Georgia
Wasn’t looking for a finance lesson, thanks... deff could pay cash, but my investments will make more than the 2% interest I’ll pay. Given the 35k miles I drive a year, I’ll be upside down for a while, even on a 3 or 4 year loan and the $400-500 that gap Insurance costs is an afterthought. To me it makes more sense to get it.

But you do you and keep giving unsolicited advice on the internet. I’m sure it’s very appreciated :)
Don’t you just love guys like that.... They got all the answers. Only on the interwebs! They know zero about your situation and yet they make a blanket assumption based on their limited knowledge. That guy probably has $100k under his mattress and he is giving financial advice..... smh

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC