Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General sentiment on mounting spoiler / wheelcaps / aftermarket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jr_gn

Supporting Member
Feb 1, 2023
Bruges, Belgium
Hello, i've a MYLR on order MIB, EDD somewhere in April. With the 19 inch Geminis. I'm into accessoires now. And really: what circus is this? This was totally unexpected for me, but the amount of aftermarket accessories available is overwhelming. This is a first for me. Coming from Lexus where there was maybe one non-OEM trunk-carpet producer available, and where I had to look for just one (Brodit) available phone mount, now I have literally hundreds of possibilities for the MY.

Focussing on two of the parts I've ordered:

- Wheel Caps on Aliexpress to replace the Gemini wheel caps, mostly for functional reasons (I want the rims totally covered to avoid curb rash as much as possible). I didn't take the cheapest ones, and what I've ordered seems to be very well made (2 + 2 symmetric design ao) and have very good reviews. Rimetrix was my first choice, but this seemed a bit to expensive to have them shipped to Europe.
- Spoiler in fiber from Tparts. And, though I really like the look of a spoiler, again this is mostly for functional reasons. I read that the rear lid gets hammered sometimes and that a rear spoiler takes the first hit. So it seemed a no-brainer for me to mount a good quality spoiler as kind of insurance.

In afterthought... Isn't it weird to buy a 60k car, and then - apart from functionality - having to pimp it with let's say 1.000 euro plasticky gadgets coming from all over the world?
I understand that OEM parts (and not only from Tesla, but in General) are as plasticky as the aftermarket ones, and probably even made by the same producer(s), but, really... a spoiler? And plastic wheel caps to put on top of alloy rims? Had you told this me 6 months ago that I would have bought those, I'd probably would not have believed.

So... what's the general sentiment about this?
Do or don't?

Some people are really into accessorizing. Others not so much. In the US, at least, the tradition goes back to the 1950s or earlier. The JC Whitney catalog was filled with parts to customize and accessorize vehicles. Or check out the Dekotora trucks in Japan, lit up like Christmas trees.

If you're looking for ideas, there are plenty of existing threads listing accessories:

If it's fun or makes you happy, do it! I think it's neat that we have cars that seem worth accessorizing again.

Reactions: jr_gn
if you like it then do it. For me, I like spoiler and caliper covers however I have to think about how well those works in long run. For example, spoiler can peel off.

I regretted about I sticking accessories with 3M tape like on the interior on my previous car. When those things are old and worn out, they are hard to remove.

With new MYLR I didn’t attack any accessories with double-tape-like on interior. I’m over with the spoiler and decide not to install it. For caliper cover, I’m still debating in my head :)

• Helpful
My Amazon $100 spoiler. Came with great adhesive also. The carbon fiber print is flawless.

Attachments

• C9C32F59-8987-4438-9C66-EC2378505ED1.jpeg
    C9C32F59-8987-4438-9C66-EC2378505ED1.jpeg
    571.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Helpful