Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS and southern Illinois driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we are planning a short getaway to a place called Hohman Lake near the garden of the gods in southern Illinois. Does anyone have any experience driving around this area? Will the car be able to keep its GPS signal or do I need to download some maps for use offline? We’re coming from around Chicago and will stop at a couple supercharger stations along the way. Not sure how much charging is available down there but maybe Paducah Kentucky a little south might have some charging spots? Any advise on what type of adapters to get that will allow charging in this area would be appreciated!

Tesla Supercharger
Electric vehicle charging station
Louisville, KY · (877) 798-3752
Open 24 hours
Tesla·120.0 kWTotal 8
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS

Tesla Supercharger
Lexington, KY · In Meijer · (877) 798-3752
Open 24 hours
Tesla·120.0 kWTotal 8
DIRECTIONS

ChargePoint Charging Station
Elizabethtown, KY · (888) 758-4389
Open 24 hours
J1772·7.2 kWAvailable2/2
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS

Louisville, KY · (888) 758-4389
Open 24 hours
CCS·29.8 kWAvailable1/1
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS

Electrify America Charging Station
Bowling Green, KY · (833) 632-2778
Open 24 hours
CCS·350.0 kWTotal 4CCS·150.0 kWTotal 3CHAdeMO·50.0 kWTotal 1
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS

Open 24 hours
CCS·29.8 kWAvailable1/1
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS

Electric Vehicle Charging Station
Hodgenville, KY · (270) 358-0005
J1772·7.7 kWTotal 1Wall outlet·9.6 kWTotal 10
DIRECTIONS

Open 24 hours
J1772·7.2 kWAvailable2/2
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS

Open 24 hours
J1772·7.2 kWAvailable2/2
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS

Open 24 hours
J1772·7.2 kWAvailable1/1
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS

Open 24 hours
J1772·7.2 kWAvailable2/2
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS

Open 24 hours
J1772·7.2 kWAvailable2/2
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS

Louisville, KY
Open 24 hours
DIRECTIONS

Open 24 hours
J1772·7.2 kWAvailable4/4
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS

SemaConnect Charging Station
Elizabethtown, KY · (800) 663-5633
Open 24 hours
J1772·6.2 kWAvailable0/2
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS

Open 24 hours
J1772·7.2 kWAvailable1/1
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS

Drakesboro, KY · (888) 758-4389
Open 24 hours
J1772·7.2 kWAvailable4/4
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS

Open 24 hours
J1772·7.2 kWAvailable1/2
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS

Open 24 hours
J1772·7.2 kWAvailable1/1
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS

Louisville, KY
DIRECTIONS
Can't find what you are looking for?
ADD A MISSING PLACE
Looking for something different?
See web results

Upvote 0
So we are planning a short getaway to a place called Hohman Lake near the garden of the gods in southern Illinois. Does anyone have any experience driving around this area? Will the car be able to keep its GPS signal or do I need to download some maps for use offline? We’re coming from around Chicago and will stop at a couple supercharger stations along the way. Not sure how much charging is available down there but maybe Paducah Kentucky a little south might have some charging spots? Any advise on what type of adapters to get that will allow charging in this area would be appreciated!
Unless you had extremely, and I mean extremely dense overhead vegetation, no where in flatland country like Illinois will you have problems with GPS. Occasionally, very occasionally will you have problems in urban canyons like Chicago, but the geometry would have to to p=be perfect for you to have problems.

Upvote 0
When planning a trip you can fine charging with Tesla's route planner, A Better Route Planner and Plugshare
If you are staying in a hotel you can use these sites/apps to find hotels that have destination charging.

Upvote 0
I've driven from Nashville to Paducah up through Central Illinois on my way to Wisconsin. You'll be fine. Charge up well at the Mt. Vernon supercharger or head to Kuttawa, KY to juice up. The only time in 3 years I've ever had a problem with the GPS was in downtown Chicago coming out of a parking garage by all the skyscrapers.

Upvote 0
Unless you had extremely, and I mean extremely dense overhead vegetation, no where in flatland country like Illinois will you have problems with GPS. Occasionally, very occasionally will you have problems in urban canyons like Chicago, but the geometry would have to to p=be perfect for you to have problems.
That is definitely true, but cellular is used to pull maps and traffic info. For navigating, GPS is useless without map data. The system will pull and cache some map data en route, but if you change course or stop driving for a bit, you’ll lose navigation without cellular.

Edit: I should disclaim I’ve never even been to Illinois, but I’ve lost navigation many times driving through remote areas of the West Coast.

Upvote 0
That is definitely true, but cellular is used to pull maps and traffic info. For navigating, GPS is useless without map data. The system will pull and cache some map data en route, but if you change course or stop driving for a bit, you’ll lose navigation without cellular.

Edit: I should disclaim I’ve never even been to Illinois, but I’ve lost navigation many times driving through remote areas of the West Coast.
Thanks for that, I always figured the maps were part of stored memory. Where I live I'm constantly out of cell service so you're saying my navigation won't work most of the time? Approximately 70% of my commute from my house to work I'm out of cell service, I drive a 20 minute commute. (M3 on order).

Upvote 0
Note that Tesla uses AT&T for cellular service here in the USA. If you lose your phone's cell signal in certain areas and you are NOT using AT&T (or one of the mobile virtual network operators [MVNO] that relies upon AT&T), it still may mean that the car will have a cell connection.

Upvote 0
Note that Tesla uses AT&T for cellular service here in the USA. If you lose your phone's cell signal in certain areas and you are NOT using AT&T (or one of the mobile virtual network operators [MVNO] that relies upon AT&T), it still may mean that the car will have a cell connection.
You mean only if your phone is "Connection Sharing" and your car has joined it on WiFi, right? Connection sharing is not automatic on either end.

Upvote 0
If by "connection sharing" you mean your phone is acting as a hotspot (WiFi access point to the greater internet) for your car, then yes, if you lose your cell service the car loses its data connection too. That would be true for ANY cell service provider. However, AFAIK, the car will attempt to use its own cell connection automatically in the absence of a WiFi signal.

My earlier explanation is for the case of: if your cell phone is using the T-Mobile or Verizon network and you go to an area which is not covered by those networks, the car MAY still have a connection because it's using AT&T. Lack of your phone's cell service does not automatically mean your car will be disconnected too. By the same token if you have AT&T service on your cell and you drive to an area that lacks AT&T coverage and the phone drops the connection, then your car most likely will be offline as well. My last trip to L.A. in my 3 I went down I-5. Near the Grapevine I lost AT&T cell service and the car did too. I noticed it right away because I was listening to streaming audio at the time and it stopped.

Upvote 0
My earlier explanation is for the case of: if your cell phone is using the T-Mobile or Verizon network and you go to an area which is not covered by those networks, the car MAY still have a connection because it's using AT&T. Lack of your phone's cell service does not automatically mean your car will be disconnected too. By the same token if you have AT&T service on your cell and you drive to an area that lacks AT&T coverage and the phone drops the connection, then your car most likely will be offline as well. My last trip to L.A. in my 3 I went down I-5. Near the Grapevine I lost AT&T cell service and the car did too. I noticed it right away because I was listening to streaming audio at the time and it stopped.
Gotcha, I totally misinterpreted what you were saying, and this makes it clear. 100% right. I'm a Verizon user and I usually have service on my phone where I don't in my car (easily discernible by the slash-through-the-signal-meter icon on the car display, and the "No connectivity" message that pops up in various places). I often lose both Verizon and (Tesla's) AT&T signal in a number of the remote areas I head into, but more often lose service for the car first/longer than I do for my phone.

Upvote 0