Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible Virginia to California - Route Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

Pondering by near week’s end of embarking on an east to west coast drive (central Va to Bay Area destination).

ABRP gives me two routes - one quite direct across the central US (across the TX panhandle for reference). The other arcs more to the north across lower Illinois, Nebraska and Salt Lake City.

The predicted difference is an amusingly optimistic 44 minutes longer for the more northerly route than the direct one and I’m leaning that way. I realize heat is terrible right now in the west in general, but the northerly route seems like I’m playing with a bit less fire (figuratively and somewhat literally) than the TX and Arizona sections (including Kingman and the others I’ve heard people mention in terms of SC spacing).

Any opinions on these two general routes based not just on heat/weather, but other factors I might not be considering? SC gaps, quality of stops, etc.

It’s about four long days of driving from 8 am to late evening daily. I figured that by using the ABRP route and breaking it at each late evening charge stop for an overnight to 8 am the next morning. I fully recognize this will vary some for all kinds of possible reasons.

I figure I’ll just put the estimated nightly stop in as the designation each morning as a way to force the chosen route (car nav vs ABRP).

I sure wish the tesla app would let me do car-specific routing with scheduled departure times so I could map this out much like ABRP… especially if you could preload it into the car… but alas…

White on white Sept 2021 M3P with about typical range loss (putting me around 265 miles at my usual 90% charge). Uberturbine and Pirelli Potenzas.

Reactions: scottf200
You mention things like “heat is terrible right now,” “playing with a bit less fire,” “four long days of driving from 8am to late evening.” This gives me the impression this is not a joyride to see things like National Parks or other excursions and will be a less-than-fun trip for you regardless of which route you take. Why not just fly and rent the car of your choice at the other end? Or even take Amtrak and do the same at destination?

All valid questions and you are spot on that this isn’t a leisure trip or sightseeing.

Note that I won’t be alone - wife and I can share the effort during the day and autopilot helps on the highway as we all know.

Handful of personal reasons I don’t want to fly this time, not the least of which is a multi-month stay on the far end and wanting to have my own car during that time. Also more flexibility in taking various items, etc. A return trip is more likely to be more casual and could also be more southerly come winter (relative to the heat concerns).

Thanks for asking!

Reactions: SalisburySam
I'd 100% take the route that goes through Colorado. Long drive and I'd add some scenery just to mix it up. I just got back from a 5300 mile trip. Last summer we did a counterclockwise big loop into Canada and on the way back went through Las Vegas and then up to Moab over thru Denver.

Aside: Saw an article if you wanted to throw in any stops: Road Trip from Virginia to California - LazyTrips

btjQyoQ.jpg

www.supercharge.info/map
u5pDw3D.jpg

Last edited: