Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS issues.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 ap1 S90D software 2018.6.1 6 41efac
My GPS seems to keep getting "lost". The other day it showed me about 5 miles off and getting worse, heading north east when I was actually heading south west. I was on streets and it had me driving, well, not on the streets. Through houses, fields and the airport. Then last night, I was on the 202 using the navigation to get to a place that I didnt know where to get to, and it had me about 100 yards off the freeway. This time heading the right direction and all, but on the wrong streets. Surface streets. So my auto pilot didn't work cause it thought the speed limit was 45 and not 65 so it kept slowing me down. Then all of the sudden it froze up. It kept me on the surface street and a main street, Val Vista. I kept driving and ended up getting to my destination using other means of nav, and when I parked, maybe 15 miles away from where the GPS said I was, it still had me stuck on Val Vista. I did the reset with the brake peddle pushed and went in and met with my brother in law at where I was headed to. About an hour later when I left, it was still stuck at the place it was before. Did another reset and no dice. I headed home. About 1/2 way home it actually reset it's location and was right for about 5 miles, then off putting me on surface streets again when I was back on the freeway. Then maybe 10 miles later, poof it's all back to normal. From the first time it did it and had me driving in the wrong place and even the wrong direction till last night where it was at least the right direction just the wrong location, well till it froze, I have had an update. So it did it with old version and new version of software. Oh, I forgot to mention, the morning after it had me driving the wrong direction, when I went to take my son to school, the main computer screen, the big one, wouldn't power up. After I dropped him off and got to the gym, I reset it with the break and dial thing, and it powered on. Anyone else have this?

2016 ap1 S90D software 2018.6.1 6 41efac

My GPS seems to keep getting "lost". The other day it showed me about 5 miles off and getting worse, heading north east when I was actually heading south west.

I was on streets and it had me driving, well, not on the streets. Through houses, fields and the airport. Then last night, I was on the 202 using the navigation to get to a place that I didnt know where to get to, and it had me about 100 yards off the freeway.

This time heading the right direction and all, but on the wrong streets. Surface streets. So my auto pilot didn't work cause it thought the speed limit was 45 and not 65 so it kept slowing me down. Then all of the sudden it froze up.

It kept me on the surface street and a main street, Val Vista. I kept driving and ended up getting to my destination using other means of nav, and when I parked, maybe 15 miles away from where the GPS said I was, it still had me stuck on Val Vista. I did the reset with the brake peddle pushed and went in and met with my brother in law at where I was headed to. About an hour later when I left, it was still stuck at the place it was before. Did another reset and no dice.

I headed home. About 1/2 way home it actually reset it's location and was right for about 5 miles, then off putting me on surface streets again when I was back on the freeway. Then maybe 10 miles later, poof it's all back to normal.

From the first time it did it and had me driving in the wrong place and even the wrong direction till last night where it was at least the right direction just the wrong location, well till it froze, I have had an update. So it did it with old version and new version of software.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the morning after it had me driving the wrong direction, when I went to take my son toschool, the main computer screen, the big one, wouldn't power up. After I dropped him off and got to the gym, I reset it with the break and dial thing, and it powered on. Anyone else have this?

Sorry.There. Yes, have done several reboots. The reboots don't seem to do anything, but it is working now but it seems like it did it on its own. But it did that before. It did it both before and after the reboots and the update.

Last edited:
I think I might. It's actually doing it again. Just went somewhere and when I left it worked for a bit then froze again. I checked the Tesla app on my phone and it says I'm still there too but would say the correct speed limit as I was driving. So, according to my gps, for the last 15 min I have been in the same place going between 0 and 60mph. This time I didn't reboot. See what happens.

I had a similar problem with my GPS for a while. I traced it to interference from my Blackvue rear camera cord. I placed some ferrite cores on the cord and it cleared up the problem. Not sure if that's related to your issue, but it does sound like it could be an interference or connection problem on the GPS antenna.

Reactions: FlyF4
Woke up this morning and it was working fine again.

Maybe this isn't related, but my key fob keeps disconnecting while I'm in the car. It's been in my little coin pocket like it's always been, not next to my phone.

Even less likely related, my screen auto darkness is wiggin out too. It's so bright at night and when I go through the controls to adjust it, it's on 0%. I move it to 1%then back to 0% and it darkens like it's supposed to be. Yes the auto adjust it's checked.

The only thing I have done recently is I hooked up a wireless charger for my phone, but months ago and these problems are happening in the last week or 2, maybe 3.

I'm having the same GPS issues ever since 2018.14. 2016 MS AP1. My issues started out just being off a block or two. Reboots of the MCU sometimes resolves the issue, other times it's resolved when I come back to my car later. It seems to be getting worse though. Now it is way off at times or stops altogether. Last night it produced some really interesting designs. Is this a hardware or software issue? I'm leaning towards software since it started around the same time as an update.
upload_2018-4-25_7-50-29.png
upload_2018-4-25_7-50-50.png