Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

used p100ds now are dirt cheap. What's going on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a new model S LR is 75K right now. I know it is not exactly apple to apple. But for everyday daily user, I doubt the small difference in 0-60 matters much. So for a 7 year old near 100K miles and expired warranty. The price seems kinda meh to me. Any repair emerges is in the thousands.
I called recell. They'll do a battery replacement for 10k with a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty for a p100d. Same warranty as Tesla offers at half the price in total. This is why I decided I'd be interested in buying one now. Yes it doesn't list it on their site they'll do p100ds but I called them and they told me that is the price to replace one.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
P100Ds started Aug 2016, 2 mo before AP2
Not many but still few around, that's why I asked
I personally seen few listings n was wondering why prices were super low...
Brings up an important point for anyone buying in that 2016-2018 timeframe where Tesla was improving rapidly. My September 2017 MX 100D came with AP2 and MCU1. My wife's MX 100D from just 9 months later came with AP2 and MCU2. Since then, both were upgraded to AP3 because we had paid for FSD, and I paid to upgrade mine to MCU2 because MCU1 would only allow dashcam of the rear camera. The Model S and Model X have always had equivalent hardware.

So...the important point is to verify what hardware the car you want to buy actually has installed. Because it does make a difference, and the hardware it was built with isn't necessarily the hardware it has now. There are different ways to tell, and if it's coming from a used car dealer you probably don't want to just go off of what they say.

• Helpful
I called recell. They'll do a battery replacement for 10k with a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty for a p100d. Same warranty as Tesla offers at half the price in total. This is why I decided I'd be interested in buying one now. Yes it doesn't list it on their site they'll do p100ds but I called them and they told me that is the price to replace one.
most people worry about battery because its the biggest ticket item, but its the other stuff you need to watch out for. suspension $2K, ac system $4K, connectors, valves $1K. Search around and see what people pay for various things. And it isn't cheap. Just pray luck is on your side.

most people worry about battery because its the biggest ticket item, but its the other stuff you need to watch out for. suspension $2K, ac system $4K, connectors, valves $1K. Search around and see what people pay for various things. And it isn't cheap. Just pray luck is on your side.
Yeah the battery I'm not too concerned with as recell does it for 10k. I'll pay a mechanic to do an inspection. Do these problems happen around 100k? I figured these cars were built well aside from batteries randomly dying whether it's supercharging it too much etc.

Yeah the battery I'm not too concerned with as recell does it for 10k. I'll pay a mechanic to do an inspection. Do these problems happen around 100k? I figured these cars were built well aside from batteries randomly dying whether it's supercharging it too much etc.
Pay a mechanic to do... What? Check the wiper blades? These cars have nothing a mechanic would fix/replace other than brakes & suspension components. The brakes last 5-10x longer too. This is why you'll likely never see an EV parked at an auto parts store.

This is a big reason why the established car manufacturers offered so much pushback on EV's initially. Their entire model is selling you devices with hundreds of moving parts that they sell the replacement for at significant profit margins including the labor to replace said parts.

Pay a mechanic to do... What? Check the wiper blades? These cars have nothing a mechanic would fix/replace other than brakes & suspension components. The brakes last 5-10x longer too. This is why you'll likely never see an EV parked at an auto parts store.

This is a big reason why the established car manufacturers offered so much pushback on EV's initially. Their entire model is selling you devices with hundreds of moving parts that they sell the replacement for at significant profit margins including the labor to replace said parts.
Yeah, but there are hundreds of moving parts in the interior to break. Lots of motorized stuff....

Reactions: maximizese
Hundreds? In a Tesla? No way.

Even if that statement were accurate, you think a mechanic is taking door cards off to check a window regulator or switch?
I think the model X is the king of stuff that can break. Motorized doors, mirrors, trunk, seats, screen, handles, windows, etc. yeah, no mechanic is inspecting anything and there's no reason to. But, lots of stuff to break out of warranty.

I'm sure modern gas cars are similar. Lots of amenities to break. But, EVs do have fewer moving parts in the drive train.

Older, used Model S often command lower pricing because a much improved one is available at only $74,990 and qualifies for a Federal $7,500, local tax rebates and other incentives. They used to sell for much more, but the marketplace has changed.
Older Tesla offer great value if the end up being trouble free. If they fall victim to expensive repairs, then...not so much. Kinda the same with every older car.

Older, used Model S often command lower pricing because a much improved one is available at only $74,990 and qualifies for a Federal $7,500, local tax rebates and other incentives. They used to sell for much more, but the marketplace has changed.
Older Tesla offer great value if the end up being trouble free. If they fall victim to expensive repairs, then...not so much. Kinda the same with every older car.
Model S does not qualify for federal tax credit

Where are you seeing the Model S qualifying for a federal tax rebate?

Yes actually
There was an article or video around that counted how many electric motors were in a Tesla
For X it was something over a hundred...

Sure, not every car will have failure but like everything else statistically, something will fail on some cars...
So we're going to cite Tesla's self-proclaimed "Fabergé egg" of complexity (Elon's own words) which also happens to be their lowest selling unit by far for our basis during a conversation about complexity? Seems a belt self-serving, don't ya think? Especially when the OP was specifically about Model S, not Model X. Two entirely different machines in terms of complexity and everyone knows this.

Even comparing that vehicle to a typical ICE is dramatically different in terms of moving parts & parts complexity though. Typical ICE vehicles still have more buttons alone than Teslas have in moving parts total. Saying a Tesla has "hundreds" of interior moving parts is incorrect.

Talking of basic statistics, more moving parts means more potential points of failure. ICE cars have significantly more moving parts and any one of which failing could leave the vehicle in operable and the motorist stranded. We shouldn't use hyperbole when comparing this exposure to failure possibilities in the ICE v. Tesla conversation because the Tesla is dramatically lower in the moving part count.