Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground clearance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm seriously considering buying a Roadster, but there are many points and question marks on the contra side of my list. So I will continue bothering you with silly questions for a while.

One ? is the ground clearance of the car. I think the 5,1 inches are much for a sports car, but I fear I can't get in my garage, cause it's really steep to enter. Is there a method to determine if the Roadster will pass without harm?

Do you had any issues with the ground clearance? On the road, in a parking house or elsewhere? Thank you.

Even though the car is very short and low, the ground clearance is pretty good for a sports car. Definitely better clearance than the Porsche Boxster S that I had before it. They probably have similar ground clearances, but the Tesla's nose sticks out less beyond the wheels than the Boxster's nose does. I have scraped the Tesla's nose on 2 driveways which broke too sharply; there will always be some places you'll scrape on a relatively low car. I haven't scraped on any speed bumps and I've gone over some fairly tall ones, but am always very careful.

I would expect that Tesla could give you the dimensions needed to let you make some comparison measurements on your driveway.

From the 2.0 Owner's Manual:
[The associated picture shows the overhangs as measured, along the ground, from the center of the associated wheel to the front/rear tip of the car]

Dimensions:
Overall length 155.4 in 3,946 mm
Overall width (including mirrors) 72.9 in 1,851 mm
Overall height (mid laden weight) 44.4 in 1,127 mm
Wheel base 92.6 in 2,351 mm
Front overhang 34.3 in 871 mm
Rear overhang 28.5 in 723 mm
Ground clearance (mid laden weight) 5.12 in 130 mm
Track - Front 57.7 in 1,455.6 mm
Track - Rear 59.0 in 1,484.5 mm
Approach (ramp) angle - Front 11°
Approach (ramp) angle - Rear 18°
Breakover angle 12.7°

I don't have much to add, except for my personal experience:

My driveway has what I consider a relatively steep approach. My Roadster does not scrape the front spoiler, however I did get to test drive a Roadster with some sort of carbon fiber accent on the front spoiler. That car would scrape every time I tried pulling into my driveway. So my clearance is so close that adding 5mm to the front spoiler causes scraping. So if it is a concern for you, do not get the carbon fiber accent on the front spoiler.

It was a Parisian garage in fact.

Last year when I was driving into my brother's garage, we tried to drive in frontways but the front spoiler was going to hit the ground, so I reversed in and it was ok. He has about a 25 degree slope down to the garage.

Are you sure about this K?

I've only seen 3 actual Roadster (Prime Mover's, Hans Ulsrud's & mine) and they all have the CF exterior trim...I looked on Tesla's picassa site at Roadsters that don't have CF exteriors and their front spoilers look the same size to me...just painted, that's all.

I don't have much to add, except for my personal experience:

My driveway has what I consider a relatively steep approach. My Roadster does not scrape the front spoiler, however I did get to test drive a Roadster with some sort of carbon fiber accent on the front spoiler. That car would scrape every time I tried pulling into my driveway. So my clearance is so close that adding 5mm to the front spoiler causes scraping. So if it is a concern for you, do not get the carbon fiber accent on the front spoiler.

The ground clearance is only part of the issue. The length from the front wheels to the lowest part under the front bumper is the other important consideration. My garage does not have a terribly steep entrance, but a Ferrari F430 and a Porsche 911 TT both scrap - they have a very long nose. In fact, the Ferarri can only back in and out. The Tesla (mine is a 2.0 with CF accents - different than the 2.5, so bear that in mind) does not come close to scraping. Also, at the Boulder store, there is an extremely steep (read: not really meant to be driven over) rear ramp to the service entrance. All the roadsters (1.5, 2.0, 2.5) can go in and out via this ramp without a scrape. I would be very surprised if your driveway were steeper than this ramp. Best test is (obviously) to have someone try it out for you. I'd see if Tesla will help arrange for this.

Last year when I was driving into my brother's garage, we tried to drive in frontways but the front spoiler was going to hit the ground, so I reversed in and it was ok. He has about a 25 degree slope down to the garage.

As we can see on the numbers delivered by tennis_trs (thanks!) going on reverse will give you much more space (18° approach angle vs. 11°). That's a good way to drive on steep slopes.
But if you back in in a garage then you have the problems going out with the front first. Unless you have a spatious garage where you can turn around.

With your answers and the research I've done, I've come to the conclusion that I'll get some serious trouble using my garage with a Roadster. F*ck.

I'd build a new garage Dragon...it'd be worth it just to get a Roadster of your own...:biggrin::wink:

As we can see on the numbers delivered by tennis_trs (thanks!) going on reverse will give you much more space (18° approach angle vs. 11°). That's a good way to drive on steep slopes.
But if you back in in a garage then you have the problems going out with the front first. Unless you have a spatious garage where you can turn around.

With your answers and the research I've done, I've come to the conclusion that I'll get some serious trouble using my garage with a Roadster. F*ck.

I already tought about that idea, but I am a crazy poor fellow who saved money all his life long to possibly get a sports car. I would need another year minimum to get extra money for a new garage.
Well, I'll find another solution.

Thanks. It did look like the same kind of drives I saw in Rome with Ferraris parked out front!
If you back in/up to a driveway garage does that not mean you have to go down/out of the same driveway front first ?