Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Growatt Inverters (x2) + Pylontech betteries or Lux Power Inverter (x1) + Greenlinx batteries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yessuz

Dec 30, 2021
Midlands
Got two options for quite similar prices an need to decide:

One option has:
5kw Lux Power Hybrid Inverter + 9.6 kwh greenlinx batteries (3 x 3.2 kwh)

another option has:

2 × Inverters​

1 x Growatt, SPH 4000 + 1 x Growatt, SPH 3000
1 × Pylontech US2000C x 4 (9.12 kWh)

What puzzles me that second options comes with two inverters while first one with only 1...

roof is east/west

anyone with any of the systems, pros and cons?

Last edited:
Victron + Pylontech ... Difference is inverter is close to realtime reaction where at least the Growatt can take 30-60+ seconds to "respond" to load changes... (Meaning 30-60s+ of grid consumption when adding load - and inadvertently 30-60s+ of EXPORT when you remove the load)

So far I only know of Tesla PowerWall and Victron devices that are close to realtime.

1679341869190.png

Do I understand correctly that this is more or less real time switch?

No that is just switching time - not ramp up/down time.

Most will start to provide power very fast - but ramp up power delivery over time - or ramp down over time.

So ask the installers in writing this question: "If I turn on a XX kW load - will the inverter be able to delivery full power instantly without drawing power from the grid"

But I still think Victron is a much better solution. Victron have made inverters for longer than most - they are made for marine use originally - so technology is proven. Apart from that they interface with a HUGE range of batteries incl. both Pylontech and BYD. And last but not least - you can trust the spec sheet....

No that is just switching time - not ramp up/down time.

Most will start to provide power very fast - but ramp up power delivery over time - or ramp down over time.

So ask the installers in writing this question: "If I turn on a XX kW load - will the inverter be able to delivery full power instantly without drawing power from the grid"

But I still think Victron is a much better solution. Victron have made inverters for longer than most - they are made for marine use originally - so technology is proven. Apart from that they interface with a HUGE range of batteries incl. both Pylontech and BYD. And last but not least - you can trust the spec sheet....
um, isn't it's a battery which ramps up, not the inverter?

To the people with LuxPower - could you try and put an AC amp meter on the grid and double check?

Or if built in display updates fast enough - use that - it would be really nice to add another potential Inverter.

A few inverter installations I have debugged - the owners had not noticed apart from their bills was slightly higher than they expected and they sometimes had funny export times. They both had older heatpumps without soft-start and when they kicked in they drained from grid first. But I have not debugged or tested a LuxPower yet.

The other potential test is attach an old style bulb and/or voltage meter - switch to "isolated" mode (so no grid) and then turn on a big load - light might dim and voltage go down below set "island mode" voltage. (It wont work with many led's as they have built in voltage regulators)

Then it means the inverters Ramp up/Ramp down time is "slow"

To me it is fast enough. Rarely it draws a little from the grid when our old washing machine is on. Other than that it copes.

Below is a picturing from today when it happened. On the bill it comes up as 0 watts but a charge of 0.059p .

So for me it works fine.

Screenshot_20230321-183241.png