Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hand sanitizer and seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is hand sanitizer dissolving Tesla seats a problem? I've seen a few FB posts about hand sanitizer staining or "dissolving" their seats, cup holder, side storage, etc. I've 2 grimy kids whom I've left a bottle of sanitizer in the back for them to use. I can't always see back there if they spill it when using. Never thought much of it in my previous cars but after seeing a few posts about sanitizer staining or dissolving things, I wonder if its been a problem for folks here. I never thought about ceramic coating the interior but if it is an issue, would something like that help if I can't get to the spill right away?

I use hand sanitizer and have not noticed any thing staining or dissolving my white seats? Although my back seats have some nice black marks from the seat belts. But I still would not trade or sell my Tesla. I love it.

I think there are some older posts on this with pictures and owner's wondering what caused the damage. The owner's manual states when you want to clean the seats you should...

Never use cleaners containing alcohol or bleach.

Most hand sanitizers are alcohol based. Not sure if any kind of protectant with do any good against a blob of jelled alcohol that can sit on the seat for hours or days.

I seen a post on facebook showing a badly damaged seat, she later stated she had spilled sanitizer, the seat looked horrible almost as if acetone sat there for a while, the worst I ever seen. Seems like these seats are more sensitive than real leather. I myself prefer leather, cows gonna die regardless, might as well harvest that hide.