Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hands Up of you bought a Tesla and you don't care about clean air or the 'Telsa Mission'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve wanted a clean car ever since the old EV-1s in the 90s and the Prius.

For years I wanted a hybrid but wasn’t in a position to get one. Ended up with a “clean diesel” VW...

I was one of those “Social Justice Warriors driving a diesel” Musk has joked about.

VW lied about their diesels though, so they ended up having to buy for me half my Tesla M3.

So I am here because it’s a clean car, I want a planet to live on because there is no backup planet, and I was suddenly finally able to afford it thanks to VW...

I've seen some AMG GLE 43 on the road and they came with these huge wheels. Its certainly a unique & powerful design.

Powerful until you sit behind the steering wheel. Nothing even comes close to the Tesla. As to op's question I had a Prius and a Porsche when I got my first Tesla. I want to help the environment and drive a nice car. I now get both in the Tesla.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: EinSV and Eclectic
1. I can "refuel" at home. That was my starter, after several gas shortages and hating to make special trips to the gas station. I considered CNG before electric.

2. Performance. Electric cars were clearly going to be outperforming gas cars. Originally I was thinking power, but instant torque, no need to downshift for maximum acceleration at any speed, and regen braking have actually been even more fun.

3. Autopilot. This was the final straw that allowed me to ignore the large cost of the Model X. Perfect for long trips, bleeding edge commercial tech, with coming future improvements.

Got the Model X specifically to haul 6 people occasionally, take cross-country trips, and still have very reasonable handling/performance since I was serial Porsche owner.

I'm all for helping the environment, but without the above factors in place I wouldn't have sprung for a Tesla.

Does anyone really know why they do something?

Sure we come up with ways to justify whatever decision it is that we made. It's usually only when we experience the result of our decision that we know if it was the right one.

What are we experiencing now with the result of our choice to go with ICE cars.

The decision was made well before our time so we had no say in it. But, we have seen the result of their decision. We have seen what we've done to the planet that ICE cars played a large role in.

There is no escaping it when we've seen what it's done.
Every summer the fire season is longer
The entire state of California seems to be on fire
Our oceans have heated

There is no escaping it.

There is no way to buy an ICE car without a long hard look to see if you're really making the right choice. Before you buy it you should know that the Earth itself is subsidizing it. It is because the earth is what has to deal with its exhaust.

When you buy an EV you're mostly free from having to take the long hard look. We know it's the future, and sure there are parts of it we need to improve upon.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I prefer to live a life where at least a few things I didn't have to feel guilty about. I suppose I could buy a plugin Prius and live pretty guilt free, but then I'd be stuck with a Prius.

I certainly understand the desire to demonstrate to people that an EV is superior to an ICE car even without factoring in the environmental implications, but why?

It's like taking a star basketball player and tying one of his hands behind his back to demonstrate that he's still better than an average basketball player.

Sure, okay. I suppose that's entertaining.

For enterainment purposes:

The experience has been positive to the point where I simply won't buy a non-EV car as my primary car. Sure I'll have an ICE car as a toy, but lets get real here. For the vast majority of us an ICE is pointlessly obsolete for daily driving task.

Why would I want to let farts on fire as I roll down the road. Controlled explosions is pretty cool for the 1800's, but it's almost 2020. Can't we do better?
Why would I want to advertise to the world every time I gave it a little throttle?
Why would I want my hands to stink after having to get gas?
Why would I want to be cold when I get in the vehicle?
Why would I want sing "I think I can, I think I can" when climbing a mountain?
Who has time to "fill up" before going to work?
Be last off the stop light as you "save gas"?
Deprive your child of this thing called gas because you used the last of it?

ICE cars have their place: The Antique store

All humor aside I'm a strong believer of using the best tool for the job. For most drivers that's not going to be ICE car. There are too many compromises you have to make. Heck for some people a Nissan Leaf saves them more $$'s in gas than the monthly lease price of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lozza12
I keep reading on these boards that you should be willing to pay a bit extra or put up with some inconvenience as you are supporting a higher purpose.

I am all for clean air and advancing technology, but I bought a Tesla for purely selfish reasons. It is fun to drive, goes fast, looks cool and is more convenient than a ICE. With EV rebates and options for free charging at work it ends up being (way) cheaper the German Sedans I usually buy.

Can't say I see Tesla as a compromise.

I think your post title is misleading, You asked if people bought a Tesla but don't care about clean air. Then in the post above you say you care about clean air but that's not the reason you bought a Tesla. Those are different things.

I think plenty of people bought a Tesla because it's a great car and has lot of advantages. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong for making good choices for selfish reasons, in fact our future depends on it. For example one of the biggest things reducing sugary drinks consumption is great tasting seltzer like La Croix or others.

I care about clean air and it was a huge factor in my decision. But if there was no Tesla, and more importantly no Super Charger network, I'd still have my German fossil burner.

If anyone truly doesn't care about clean air and our collective future, they probably don't care about anything else either.

Does anyone really know why they do something?

Sure we come up with ways to justify whatever decision it is that we made. It's usually only when we experience the result of our decision that we know if it was the right one.

What are we experiencing now with the result of our choice to go with ICE cars.

The decision was made well before our time so we had no say in it. But, we have seen the result of their decision. We have seen what we've done to the planet that ICE cars played a large role in.

There is no escaping it when we've seen what it's done.
Every summer the fire season is longer
The entire state of California seems to be on fire
Our oceans have heated

There is no escaping it.

There is no way to buy an ICE car without a long hard look to see if you're really making the right choice. Before you buy it you should know that the Earth itself is subsidizing it. It is because the earth is what has to deal with its exhaust.

When you buy an EV you're mostly free from having to take the long hard look. We know it's the future, and sure there are parts of it we need to improve upon.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I prefer to live a life where at least a few things I didn't have to feel guilty about. I suppose I could buy a plugin Prius and live pretty guilt free, but then I'd be stuck with a Prius.

I certainly understand the desire to demonstrate to people that an EV is superior to an ICE car even without factoring in the environmental implications, but why?

It's like taking a star basketball player and tying one of his hands behind his back to demonstrate that he's still better than an average basketball player.

Sure, okay. I suppose that's entertaining.

For enterainment purposes:

The experience has been positive to the point where I simply won't buy a non-EV car as my primary car. Sure I'll have an ICE car as a toy, but lets get real here. For the vast majority of us an ICE is pointlessly obsolete for daily driving task.

Why would I want to let farts on fire as I roll down the road. Controlled explosions is pretty cool for the 1800's, but it's almost 2020. Can't we do better?
Why would I want to advertise to the world every time I gave it a little throttle?
Why would I want my hands to stink after having to get gas?
Why would I want to be cold when I get in the vehicle?
Why would I want sing "I think I can, I think I can" when climbing a mountain?
Who has time to "fill up" before going to work?
Be last off the stop light as you "save gas"?
Deprive your child of this thing called gas because you used the last of it?

ICE cars have their place: The Antique store

All humor aside I'm a strong believer of using the best tool for the job. For most drivers that's not going to be ICE car. There are too many compromises you have to make. Heck for some people a Nissan Leaf saves them more $$'s in gas than the monthly lease price of the vehicle.
Great post. I wholeheartedly agree.

It’s a shame most people hear those things and are either indifferent or think you’re barmy.

Maybe one day we will look back at this era and have a collective face-palm?