Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard Stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On our drive from Houston to Austin we were peacefully cruising along US 290. I was driving and using SD at about 70 mph.

Suddenly an SUV darted directly across our path from a side street. Equally suddenly, our Tesla Y slammed on the brakes. It was a few milliseconds faster than me. My foot was almost on the brake petal when the Y was in full hard stop mode. With that, I never touched the brake petal.

There was a pile of items in the back seat. They all flew off the seat, onto the floor, under the front seats all the way to the front floors.

We went from 70 mph to below 5 mph in what seemed like barely a second. I was also astonished with the Y’s reaction time and accuracy of braking to miss the impact. I just left it in SD and the Y just proceeded as if nothing happened as soon as the offending SUV had vacated the lane.

Just thought I would share this experience, because I was very impressed with our Y’s reaction and handling of the near imminent collision. I have never completely trusted any part of self-driving, but it has gained a bit more respect from me. It does have it’s benefits and I find it quite useful. Even so, I’m still not fully comfortable trusting my life to it.

On our drive from Houston to Austin we were peacefully cruising along US 290. I was driving and using SD at about 70 mph.

Suddenly an SUV darted directly across our path from a side street. Equally suddenly, our Tesla Y slammed on the brakes. It was a few milliseconds faster than me. My foot was almost on the brake petal when the Y was in full hard stop mode. With that, I never touched the brake petal.

There was a pile of items in the back seat. They all flew off the seat, onto the floor, under the front seats all the way to the front floors.

We went from 70 mph to below 5 mph in what seemed like barely a second. I was also astonished with the Y’s reaction time and accuracy of braking to miss the impact. I just left it in SD and the Y just proceeded as if nothing happened as soon as the offending SUV had vacated the lane.

Just thought I would share this experience, because I was very impressed with our Y’s reaction and handling of the near imminent collision. I have never completely trusted any part of self-driving, but it has gained a bit more respect from me. It does have it’s benefits and I find it quite useful. Even so, I’m still not fully comfortable trusting my life to it.
Yup, I don't ever trust the system, and it does over react sometimes (brakes hard when a car way ahead of you crosses the street), but when it works it can literally be a life saver.

Keith

Yup, I don't ever trust the system, and it does over react sometimes (brakes hard when a car way ahead of you crosses the street), but when it works it can literally be a life saver.

Keith
When we first got our Y, it did all the common complained about phantom braking and over reactive etc., but that seems to have gone away. I now use cruse control and auto steer almost all the time now and it hasn't phantom braked in several months. Also braking due to cross traffic and abrupt stops due to congestion is now very smooth.
I don't know if that is due to updates or the car is learning how to drive? Regardless, I am very pleased with how it is working.

I was having a bunch of phantom braking issues after the vision only update but now on FSD beta (.25.5) and everything is working very smoothly so far, hopefully this fixed it! Has braked with cross traffic but more appropriately and recovers quickly.