Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a test drive with my family in London at the Brent Cross Tesla. Both the Midnight Blue 3P+ in the showroom and the black 3P+ we test drove had the spoiler raising on one side. Was surprising to see, since these would 99.99999% certainly have come with spoilers from the factory.

I have bad news for everyone who is expecting a fix. I got word that Tesla views these things as within spec (aka panel gaps) despite the ill fitment. The manager at my store showed me his model 3 performance that had an even worse fit than mine and said he can't even get them to fix it.

Doesn't bode well for us at all. It's really silly that we're going to end up eating that Tesla tax on it but I guess lesson learned. Don't expect good fitment on parts or for Tesla to really care about it.

Props to my service center though, they have been pretty good about it and have been open to trying to make it work. However corporate needs to get their *sugar* together

Reactions: nickhauenstein
It been a month now since the replacement spoiler has been put on and it's holding ok.

Still have that 1mm play on the passenger side corner...where I can compress it against the trunk.
Like @N54TT I have about 1mm on the drive side that I can compress, but it doesn't seem like it will be easy to detach.

Here are some photos. A Canadian dime is about 1.2mm thick.

Driver Side:
IMG_20191125_080900.jpg IMG_20191125_080911.jpg IMG_20191125_080921.jpg

Passenger Side:
IMG_20191125_080951.jpg

One thing I find deceiving, and I not sure if it's because I have a wrap, but the shadows make the gap look way bigger than it actually is.
IMG_20191125_081519.jpg

IMG_20191125_081538.jpg

Speaking of wrap, the mobile tech said that they won't warranty another spoiler because the adhesive was designed to bond to the original painted surface, not the wrap.

While I think it could be slightly better, I think it's an alright install. If I want it improved I have to do it myself.
Any idea what the stock double sided tape is on the spoiler?

Reactions: KenC
Welp - add me to the list of a *sugar*-fitting spoiler. Have a P3D-. Got one for Christmas, installed it last night. Left side is perfect, right side is horrible. I'm even more effed because it's from a private-party seller who claimed it was from the "updated molding."

Going to VatoZone now to pick up some 3M body molding tape to try & keep that edge down:

Body Molding Tape: Automotive Body Molding Tapes {Best Prices & Reviews} - AutoZone

Unlikely to work since with temp. fluctuations + the fact that it's carbon fiber, it'll probably lift again. If it does, I'm removing the entire thing & trying what this guy did:

Spoiler edge raising fix

Does anybody know if carbon fiber is sandable? & if so what precautions to take? I think if I "hollowed it out" a bit more on the right side, it might sit flush.

Learned about Betalink from the BMW forums but from what I understand, once you put this on, that's it:

Betalink Body Panel Adhesive Glue

Don't plan on going this route, ever - just throwing it out there in case someone else wants to.

It's ridiculous that Tesla wants close to $700 for this damn thing. If was some high-quality plastic I'd be perfectly happy... but I got to save a few grams on a 4,000+ lbs car!

Welp - add me to the list of a *sugar*-fitting spoiler. Have a P3D-. Got one for Christmas, installed it last night. Left side is perfect, right side is horrible. I'm even more effed because it's from a private-party seller who claimed it was from the "updated molding."

How big of a gap do you have on the right side - any pics ? The 16 rear spoilers that were test fitted on my car were all the new part number..

How big of a gap do you have on the right side - any pics ? The 16 rear spoilers that were test fitted on my car were all the new part number..
Here - LHS is totally livable, I'm fine with it. RHS is an unmitigated disaster. I spent ~1 hour last night picking out adhesive tape from the last 5", since it was practically floating in the air due to the spoiler's shape. Wanted a clean slate to put down new tape.

e7GC4Vy.jpg

Dw0RX9R.jpg

Spoiler's perfectly centered - 133 mm, tip of spoiler to tip of trunk... so I don't think it's due to me being a dumbass. About to start working on it now & I'll report back if I have any success.

Tesla Mobile came out to install both the spoiler and the Dual Motors badge. They had templates to ensure all was centered. Came out perfect. Very pleased.
View attachment 491424 View attachment 491426
Is it just me or does it appear that they "lifted" the middle top part of your spoiler a tiny bit? Looks like there's a very small gap but could be due to the pic. Reason I'm asking is because someone recommended lifting the spoiler by ~1mm to get the ends to sit down properly... not a real solution IMO.

Here - LHS is totally livable, I'm fine with it. RHS is an unmitigated disaster. I spent ~1 hour last night picking out adhesive tape from the last 5", since it was practically floating in the air due to the spoiler's shape. Wanted a clean slate to put down new tape.

e7GC4Vy.jpg

Dw0RX9R.jpg

Spoiler's perfectly centered - 133 mm, tip of spoiler to tip of trunk... so I don't think it's due to me being a dumbass. About to start working on it now & I'll report back if I have any success.

Is it just me or does it appear that they "lifted" the middle top part of your spoiler a tiny bit? Looks like there's a very small gap but could be due to the pic. Reason I'm asking is because someone recommended lifting the spoiler by ~1mm to get the ends to sit down properly... not a real solution IMO.
Never noticed that but I see what you're saying. It appears to be lifted in the middle. I'll have to check when my son returns with the car (on the 28th).

Interestingly, the majority of the 16 rear spoilers that were test fitted and subsequently rejected, were due to large gaps on the right side. A lot of them were worse than the gap in your pic.

I'll be following your progress, as I may eventually install mine. Mobile Service refused to install, since I have PPF on the trunk lid. Xpel told me there would be no issue installing over their PPF as long as the surface was properly cleaned prior to install. Good Luck !

Update on my situation...

Removed the original spoiler I'd bought. This was extremely difficult in and of itself - these things are NEVER coming off on their own. Spent ~1 - 2 hours removing 100% of the adhesive:

5WScQv8.jpg

Dry fitted it with bated breath and... still no dice:

HiqCwX2.jpg

Ended up contacting the seller. Sounded like he had a bunch in stock & sent me one that fit very nicely:

jkYyDZY.jpg

TIrTxmk.jpg

I don't think it gets much better than this - the apparent gap is mainly due to the bulk of the adhesive, which is fine with me. The fix I'd posted earlier from the other member might resolve this for a perfectly flush fit, but it's not worth it IMO. This is perfect relative to my first spoiler.

FYI the replacement spoiler was a full 2 mm shorter than the defective one. Also, to everyone DIYing this, people seem to overcomplicate it. I just fitted & centered the spoiler, taped it to the trunk in the middle with a 1/2" piece of painter's tape, *very* carefully cut it with a razor where it meets the trunk lid, then peeled the backing & simply lined up the tape. I think this is more reliable & far easier than outlining the spoiler with tape and whatnot. Saw a lot of others taping the ends down, also - not sure this accomplishes anything. It's carbon fiber... it's designed to be insanely stiff. Short of gluing it down with Betalink or something, it's gonna retain its shape.

Interestingly, the majority of the 16 rear spoilers that were test fitted and subsequently rejected, were due to large gaps on the right side. A lot of them were worse than the gap in your pic.

I'll be following your progress, as I may eventually install mine. Mobile Service refused to install, since I have PPF on the trunk lid. Xpel told me there would be no issue installing over their PPF as long as the surface was properly cleaned prior to install. Good Luck !
I think you'd have absolutely no issues installing over any kind of quality PPF. As you can see from my experience, dry-fitting reveals plenty about the quality of the fit. If it fits like my first one, get another one.