Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone else experienced intermitten regen braking this Winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Model S since late Feb. 2018, which means I have driven it during the Winter of 2018/2019 and I didn't notice this before, so I am not sure if I have forgotten or not. I do realize that when my car is "cold" that the regen braking doesn't work until the battery is warmed up, however, once my car has been driven quite a while, now I am having the regen braking working sometimes and sometimes it does NOT work. As I recall, last Winter, just like in warm weather, ANY TIME I let off of the accelerator, the regen braking takes over and now it does not, even though sometimes it does but sometimes it does NOT. I KNOW THIS is not my imagination. Has anyone else experienced this? I am not sure if it's a "bug" or what but I will be taking the car in for a maintenance check up soon. Anyone?
Thanks!

Not intermittent, unless there is hydroplaning involved.
Tesla did increase the temperature required by BMS to accept charging, and ****d up the apps ability to preheat battery too, since last winter.
Together it destroys any regen until well into the trip.
You too should complain.

I too have felt that effect recently. It's as though when you step off the accelerator pedal, the car seems to coast like an ICE vehicle rather the typical EV where regen is adding power back to the battery. I've had two software updates recently, the most recent overnight. Regen was and remains set to standard.

I took a trip yesterday in my 2017 S100D. The car was charged from 70% to 90% starting at 11:30 PM the night before and set to charge again from 90% to full capacity in the hour before leaving. The car is garaged and the cabin temperature was about 10 Celsius (from memory) so I think the battery was cold soaked to about the same temperature before charging started. The car took 50 minutes at highway speed in snowy conditions and -13 Celsius temperature to achieve full regeneration. The total trip was 265.1 km round trip with a stop in the middle for about 4 hours and power consumption was 237 Wh/km. I think regen is working differently than last winter and I have noticed the "ICE vehicle" like behavior when lifting off the accelerator when the car is cold and regen is limited.

Yeah, me too.

I definitely notice much more coasting and less regeneration since the latest software update. Thank you for reassuring me that it isn't a problem with my car. Even at the end of a 50-60 minute drive in 30-35 degree F weather, presumably with the battery warmed to some degree, the regen is not what it was.

I have checked my setting a reset the car. No Regen when the car is cold.

Also now note yellow warning triangle when I first get in car next to the WH/Mi meter. Also see as many as 7 yellow ticks now as it’s getting colder. The more I drive the fewer ticks display and regen increases.

Safety concern on my part as well as the wear on my brakes that we shouldn’t have to replace. I now assume they won’t work and drive like an ICE.

I get the yellow triangle at first as well. Regen ability is way down from last winter. I know it gets worse in colder temps but it used to warm up so much faster which is what allows the regen to work. Really changes an important function, (one pedal driving), that worked really well!