TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Have Electric Cars Already Reached The Tipping Point? ABB Says Yes

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Jackl1956, Dec 25, 2013.

1. caddieo

caddieo Member

We've been waiting for this. It's about time.

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I think it is way too early to declare victory. At less than .7% of car sales this year we still have a way to go before we "tip". But I believe it is coming. I think the inflection point will be 2015.

3. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

After Tesla builds out the Supercharger network AND the Model E is rolling out of the factory in mass, then I think we'll be close.

4. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

It is not about victory, it is about diversification of transportation options and energy sources. I want oil, electric, etc. so that we have choices. If we went all electric (not going to happen) then we would be held hostage ($$$) to the suppliers of electricity.

5. gameon

gameon Member

I think fuel cell will give tough competition to EV in future may be 2 out of 100 (1 ev and 1 fuel cell or something else who knows)

6. DuncanWatson

DuncanWatson Member

if fuel cell vehicles ever achieve parity of sales in the US I will eat my hat and your hat.

7. gameon

gameon Member

don't eat anyone hat ever :wink:...kidding.. it is not my ev or fuel cell thing... whatever mass adapts

8. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

#9 bareyb, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    Fuel cell = Gas Station Model. Exxon2 here we come… No thanks. I'd rather get my "fuel" from an outlet in my garage and use the same grid as everyone uses to power their homes. Far less likely greedy special interests will be able to come in and screw Drivers again without screwing everyone else at the same time.

Solar Power would be the ideal solution. We could all get our fuel for free from the Sun. No need for anyone to manufacture anything and thus nobody holding our fuel hostage and gouging us with artificially high prices. The last thing we need is to allow anyone to have full control over our fuel again. I would have hoped we had learned our lesson by now.

9. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Not really. We can make our own electricity and the electricity market is so heavily regulated that we are holding the power companies hostage rather than them holding us hostage. Plus it's a domestic and diversely sourced form of energy with a highly stable price (adjusted for inflation, electricity cost has stayed flat for decades).