Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having second thoughts

What would you do?

• Stick with the MY

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • Switch to the S

Votes: 11 33.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like you need to be 100% in it to go forth, because otherwise you may end up in a situation where you are driving a car you dont enjoy... maybe the rush decision costed you $100, but thats better than losing thousands in value lost if you resell it.

Have you been in an S? driven it? if so, then maybe switching to it is a better call (although buying used vs new Y, probably not something Id do personally). Go to a local showroom and check out MY in person. If thats not a thing you can do, then maybe cancel and sit on the decision until you can see one in person up close (in color you want), and even better, drive it. At that point would also know the situation with the room in the back.

Another thing to consider, if showrooms dont have MY yet, go to a service center, they may have some in for touchups or whatnot. One near me had 2 a few weeks ago. Just be nice about it and say you are considering ordering and want to see it in person. I did that before ordering and they said "its a customer can but I can like walk around and look at it". Couldnt sit in it or anything but seeing one up close is nice. It is bigger than I thought.

This 1 minute clip here sold me on the Black/Black Model Y.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I have another new Performance S coming at the end of the month. I could have saved significant money and purchased a Y but the S is just on another level of Performance and interior detail. Could all Tesla cars have nicer interiors? sure but the S and X are as nice as Tesla offers. There are a few little details that my Performance 3 has that the S doesn’t but the other S positives far outweigh the negatives. I’m sure there are some people that would take a Model 3 or Y over an S or X if at the same price but with the newer price points on the bigger cars they are much more attractive than they were a couple years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marrus and Xolt
Since it's your first EV and I am guessing this will be your primary family car I would put good amount of emphasis on range. Keep in mind that Tesla's get roughly 85% of EPA range on highways (and less in harsh weather). And with a used MS' range possibly dropping let's say 5%-10% from EPA, road trips will be a hassle compared to a newer longer range Tesla. johnmodely has a point, I would hesitate getting a smaller battery MS if you plan to do road trips. Still doable but relative to a 100D/Long Range X/S or a new Y, it will be a pain. If road trips is not a big consideration then any MS will do from a range perspective assuming you don't have a very long commute.

Ben Sullins, a YouTuber, is a big advocate for used Model Ss. I think his points on MS in the video below are all valid. For some reason he is biased against the X (maybe the falcon wing doors). I personally have one and love it. I would for sure watch the video if you haven't already.

I have an X and a 3 and I personally enjoy driving the 3 more since it's more nimble. But we take the X for all family trips. My understanding is that the S is more similar in size to X than a Y at least in terms of the back seats (you may want to confirm). It also has a hatchback so is similar to a X/Y in terms of cargo space.

I think it comes down to small cross-over vs. large sedan preference but considering you're coming from an Audi and have three car seats a newer MS might be a better bet at this point. The depreciation will be relatively low so you can always change your mind and trade in for a Y later on.

Last edited:
With all the usual caveats about buying used, I'd recommend having a look at a used Model S from Tesla. Right now, there are a LOT of them priced comparably to or sometimes quite a bit less than a new M3 or MY. After originally putting down a day-one deposit on a Model 3, I pulled that money back when the $35K version disappeared and just last week pulled the trigger on a low-mileage 2016 Model S with virtually all the toys. My 75D won't have the range of the M3 LR, but the S has a few bonuses and ours cost less than a new M3 or MY. The used S will still depreciate, but has already taken the big hit. And, it comes with the same 4yr/50K warranty.

Ordered MY a few months ago and have gotten a call but not the call. Red PUP, no FSD, first EV. Spent the bucks to get the charger installed in my garage already, which was not a small task and am totally sold on Tesla. But...

Two things:
1. I have three kids in car seats. I own diono radians, so they fit three across in my X3 and likely will in MY, too but could be very tight back there...am worried about this

2. Saw a MSM MY the other day in Chicago and felt the look was a little...meh. Just didn't have the impact I think the MY has had in some Tesla press photos, which look amazing. Realize this is personal pref...but at this price, you gotta love the looks.

So, I'm thinking about going for a Model S - more space in the back, and looks I prefer (after chrome delete) and about the same price (if I buy used).

Wonder what you guys think - bad time to buy an S with upgrades/updates on the way? The design is also long in the tooth but can be modified to look sharper... what would you do?

With 3 kids in car seats I would go with an X instead! By the way I am selling my 16 month old X for a similar price of a Model Y. Let me
IMG_1505 2.jpg
IMG_1513 3.jpg
IMG_1514 2.jpg
know if you are interested.
2018 Tesla Model X | eBay

StefanG, nice looking X! Why are you selling?

For me I was ready to pull the trigger on a used MS. I had one picked out and was emailing a Tesla rep questions about the process. But then a friend told me to take look at a 3 or Y instead, and I gave it more consideration as to the purpose my Tesla was going to fill.

In the end the MS was too big and wide for 90% of what I need the electric car for. I rode in my friend's S and it is a wide car. It's also low and with the wide side sill, it's not that easy to get into or out of. I have ridden in a few M3s and that car is more fitting for the mission my Tesla will fill. And I'm ordering a MY because I want the hatch and added versatility and room the Y has over the 3 without getting too big for my needs.

The red calipers with silver wheels is interesting. The tire profile looks like the 19" tire. I wonder if this early video was a pre-productuon unit.

Thats definitely a test car (since Black hasnt been produced for purchase yet). And those are the 19inch Gemini without the plastic covers. Videos like this made me realize that the way the wheel looks doesnt matter much, you only see the actual design when the car is parked. And most people will see your car on a roll.

For red calipers, I imagine you could paint them with rustoleum yourself if you wanted.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC