Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - EV Fees for Highway Improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As EV owners, we don't buy gas, so we don't pay the gas taxes which goes into the highway improvement fund. I am willing to pay a reasonable fee to contribute to the fund since we use the roads too. Currently, Honolulu has a bill proposing a $70 annual EV fee and now Maui has adeed a $250 annual EV fee. That fee just sounds excessive to me? Thoughts anyone?

RE: Maui Budget - Hokama also added some fees, including $20 across the board for permits to use county stadiums, gyms and community centers and a $250 annual “Highway Improvement Fee” for electric and hybrid vehicles, which don’t pay or pay less gas taxes that the county uses for road improvements and repairs.

Hokama pares mayor’s budget by $33 million | News, Sports, Jobs - Maui News

Someone mentioned that gas tax (on Maui) is $0.18/gallon. At $250 annually, that's almost 1,400 gallons. Assuming 25 mpg, that would mean almost 35,000 miles a year travelled. A $70 fee would be equivalent to about 9,700 miles/year.

Reactions: fseir
Someone mentioned that gas tax (on Maui) is $0.18/gallon. At $250 annually, that's almost 1,400 gallons. Assuming 25 mpg, that would mean almost 35,000 miles a year travelled. A $70 fee would be equivalent to about 9,700 miles/year.
Based on these calcs, $70 seems appropriate. 9,700 miles is almost exactly what I typically drive in a year.

But don't we already pay a road tax in our annual registration? I'm fairly certain that the amount of tax is partly based on the weight of the vehicle. Does anyone know exactly how that gets calculated? It makes sense that the heavier the vehicle, the more wear and tear it would impart to the road surface. Of course, the amount of driving would also need to be factored in to be fair. I'm all for adding the odometer recording to the safety check process and basing the road tax on miles and weight, rather than some arbitrary number that disproportionately affects drivers of more efficient vehicles. Since Hawaii has a stated goal of moving to 100% renewables, our transportation system should have the economic incentives aligned with that objective.

Reactions: nanimac
Based on your calculations, the $70 fee would seem reasonable for EVs but would appear excessive for hybrids. Perhaps a better way would be to use the safety check system to obtain mileage data and levy taxes based on mileage driven and vehicle weight.

Based on your calculations, the $70 fee would seem reasonable for EVs but would appear excessive for hybrids. Perhaps a better way would be to use the safety check system to obtain mileage data and levy taxes based on mileage driven and vehicle weight.
Excellent idea. And that's also why they won't do it. They never want or like fair. They do want discussion, controversy, and their name in the paper for something we like and for something we don't like.