Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Head Lights fogging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S 2015, both of my headlights are fogging on the inside.
Made an appointment with Tesla, thru the app, pictures were uploaded, at the arrival was given a loaner (didn’t ask for it) they said it’ll take a few hours and they are busy now,10am.
At 5 pm got a msg from them saying my S will be ready next day by the end of a day. In the morning my S was ready for a pick up, however Headlight did not get replaced or touched.
Tesla service said it’s normal for all the lights to get that moisture inside since all the lights are not tight seal and the moisture comes and goes away.
Q: why they didn’t tell me that at the booking, at my arrival and made me waiting for my S to be fixed.
Don’t they know it’s normal, or they had to replace them and they didn’t?
My 4 year warranty is about to expire in 10 days from now. Wanted to make sure I don’t need to pay for those things later.
Did anyone had a similar experience with the headlights or any other lights?
Thank you for your help..

Attachments

• 0B58FEDA-9B12-4387-8B2A-6FAA497DCA38.jpeg
    0B58FEDA-9B12-4387-8B2A-6FAA497DCA38.jpeg
    408.2 KB · Views: 106
  • BFC6D27F-5543-4A44-90D9-1D1216159735.jpeg
    BFC6D27F-5543-4A44-90D9-1D1216159735.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 75
I noticed your car is wet. Did you wash it or did it rain? This is pretty normal and will go away once the humidity levels inside and out balance out. If you search on here you will see this has been discussed before and is common in all cars and trucks if they are put into similar situations. The headlights are not air tight therefore they will do this on occasion. They probably looked at them and realized this was a normal behavior but I would not expect the person you dealt with to know if this normal or not. You did get a loaner so at least you weren't without a car.

My car didn’t go thru a car wash, it was a bit raining that day it happened. But I haven’t seen that happening earlier, strange.
Overall I’m sat with how they take care of a customer, could of look at that and let me go instead of bothering with the loaner.

Do not let them talk you out of getting them replaced. Voice your legitimate concern that you aren’t wanting to have a moisture related issue cause leds to go out in the DRL down the road. I’ve had my facelift headlights replaced 6 times. 2 times for moisture and the rest for leds yellowing. I know they do this sometimes because venting issues but that’s a lot of moisture.

Reactions: Tesomega
Do not let them talk you out of getting them replaced. Voice your legitimate concern that you aren’t wanting to have a moisture related issue cause leds to go out in the DRL. I’ve had my facelift headlights replaced 6 times. 2 times for moisture and the rest for leds yellowing. Just schedule an appointment through the app. Better safe than sorry. I know they do this sometimes because venting issues but that’s a lot.
I'm willing to be they wont swap them out. Most of the time people don't even notice they have fogged and by the time you get out of the car you dont even notice or the moisture has gone away. If this happens every time it rains or gets wet then yes there is a problem but not if it happens occasionally. They are designed to vent and all lights have vents. This is not just a Tesla thing

I would recommend you register this as a compliant before you warranty runs out..I have not seen this a single time in any vehicle including my current Tesla that I have owned so far. Better to be safe than sorry.
Just because You have not seen it does not mean it hasnt happened to your lights. The difference in temperatures will cause this especially in very humid situations. Ask someone who lives in Louisiana, Alabama, texas etc if there lights ever fogged up.