Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight Assembly Parking Lamp Cover Dislodged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JohnGarziglia

Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2011
Reston, Virginia
The plastic cover that goes over the parking light bulb in my left headlight assembly somehow became dislodged and is now sitting in the front of the headlight assembly (see it in the lower left portion of photo below).

Is there an easy way to remove the plastic cover to the headlight assembly to be able to retrieve this plastic cover and re-attach it to the front of the parking light bulb?

IMG_20181104_111432.jpg

Thanks! If I wanted to try heating up the adhesive, I assume I would have to remove the entire assembly from the car? Assuming so, how difficult is that? Are there easy to locate connections beneath the headlight assembly, or is removing the assembly a major project in itself?

If I wanted to try heating up the adhesive, I assume I would have to remove the entire assembly from the car? Assuming so, how difficult is that?

Correct. You would use a hot air gun. My body guy modifies headlights on the side and his process involves using the hot air gun around the edges of the headlight along the seam where the lens meets the body. After a number of passes, the adhesive should be pliable enough to separate the two halves. However, he also cautions that heating up the whole headlight (even pre-heating before using the hot air gun) in the oven as it accelerates the yellowing of the lens.

Alternatively, you could remove a bulb as MLAUTO suggested, but I don't see any way it could fit through the high beam bulb slot. You could loosen the high beam reflector by removing the two phillips-head screws from the back. Keep the reflector close because you don't want that banging around on the inside especially as you try to realign it to screw it back in after removing the broken parking light lens.

To reinstall the parking light lens, you will need a small child's hands, or to remove the headlight lens to do it yourself. Rolf, saprolf, here in Phoenix opens Roadster headlights to convert the lighting to LED and can be helpful to discuss this predicament with, or send him your headlights for an LED upgrade and to have the parking light lens reinforced before installing. I have two loose parking light lenses, but both also have broken tabs. Maybe he could come and get one for you if yours is irreparable..

Are there easy to locate connections beneath the headlight assembly, or is removing the assembly a major project in itself?

Headlight removal is a pain, in my opinion. It's not necessarily as easy as removing the three screws underneath the headlight and contorting it out through the opening. If you perform the operation as previously described, you run the risk of scratching the lens, fender, and possibly the front bumper fascia. I recommend opening the the front hood and removing the front bumper fascia as the headlights come straight out unobstructed. Of course, I'm leaving out the setup portion of lifting the Roadster onto jack stands to remove the front wheels, wheel arch panels, and get access to the headlight mounting hardware. Let any one of us know if you have any questions about the process. It's not terribly advanced, just time consuming.