Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 (2020) DIY headlight replacement write-up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I replaced the nearside front headlight on my 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance (5YJ). Here is a brief outline of the job.

Intro
After hitting a pheasant, the headlight lense cracked, causing both the headlight and indicator to fail. Apparently, the phase 1 Tesla Model 3 nearside front headlight is linked to the circuit for the windscreen wiper motors. So a cracked headlight glass also leaves the wipers inoperable, rendering the vehicle undrivable during the British winter. Tesla quote £1,500 for the repair.

Kit
I purchased a sound replacement headlight assembly from a breaker’s yard on eBay for £299 which matched the part number for my VIN on the Tesla service database. I then reviewed a popular video guide on YouTube for reference. I also used a ¼” ratchet driver with various extension bar lengths, a 10mm flex socket, a trim removal tool and two dozen replacement 8mm rivet clips identical to universal Tesla part number 100652100A. I had sandwich bags and a marker pen ready.

Work
I found it absolutely necessary to fully detach the front bumper by removing all front wheel arch bolts on both sides (pictured). The YouTube guide proved to be slightly misleading, as the 2020 Model 3 has an extra bolt at the bottom (pictured) and the underside bolts turned out to be yet more clips. Upon removing the front bumper and resting it on a blanket, I left the various miscellaneous offside cables attached and removed only the nearside headlight power cable once I had hold of the full assemble itself.

Install
Once the new headlight was installed, at first it still would not work. The final step is to enter service mode and select a full vehicle firmware reinstall. This takes around five minutes and requires a vehicle restart. And then everything works again – headlight, indicator and wiper motors. Now to re-fit all of the rivet clips. Four were required for each wheel arch and ten for the bumper making eighteen in total. I am glad that I bought new ones to replace those that I had removed.

Calibration
I then drove to the nearest multistorey carpark and parked opposite a wall. Assuming that the undamaged offside headlight was correct, I let the vehicle do its own auto-calibration from the service menu, which seemed to achieve absolutely nothing, and then adjusted the new headlight’s position to be at the same height as the offside one and broadly equidistant from it while steel set slightly leftwards.

Support
If anyone needs any help with doing this mechanical job then feel free to contact me. It would probably take around 90 minutes to complete on an identical Model 3 with the benefit of experience.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Good post.. are there ADJUSTMENTS anywhere that can be done? My headlamps from 2018, the lower portion of the lamp enclosure sites about 1/4 inch up from the front bumper flange. I wonder if the lamp cluster gets adjusted somewhere, OR the bumper gets adjusted somewhere? Frankly, it does seem odd compared to any other Tesla M3 I see.

Thanks. Others posting on Reddit seem to have noticed the same extra bolt. Also, there was no scope whatsoever for repositioning or adjustment of either the bumper or assembly when installing the new headlight.

Really sucks that it's such a process to replace a headlight. I remember the days when it took like 5 minutes to replace them.
Used to be a couple of trim screws and four on the retaining ring that held the sealed beam in the bucket, unplug old light, plug in new, screw it all back together. Not bad. Some cars had to have additional stuff come off to get the headlight trim off, which sucked.

Reaching behind the lens, unplugging a harness, twisting the bulb or a retaining ring, removing the bulb, putting the new one in was a bit of an improvement. It could be a completely tool-free process, provided there was clearance to get at the back of the light without having to move too much stuff out of the way.

Having to screw around with software to replace a headlight is bovine excrement.

Thanks for posting this. I had been trying to replace my headlight for about six months. My '18 M3 driver's side accent light went out, and it really bothered me. Didn't want to pay Tesla over $1,300.00(USD). :/ Sooo I bought a used one on eBay for about $85(USD) +tax with free shipping. The headlight did not work and had the same issue. :( Wasted 3 hours. Returned it. Couple of months later, I got another used one, this time $180(USD) +tax with free shipping, also from eBay. This one made my car glitch. The lights were erratic and not working properly. Entire daytime running LED did not work. Wasted 2.5 hours. Returned it.

Was I doing something wrong? Did I miss a step? I had to research this a bit more. When I saw that a software reinstall could be necessary, I wondered if the first two headlights could have worked. Yikes.

Four months later, I made my third and final attempt to fix the issue. Got my third headlight, also used and from eBay. Communicated with the seller what my issue was and asked them if all the LEDs worked. He confirmed, so I got it. It was listed for $120, but the seller offered me a discount of 7%, so I got it for about $122(USD) with tax and shipping. The third light WORKED! I was prepared to do a software reinstall, however it did not need it! It was plug and play. :) The headlight came from either a 2019 or 2020 model, since it did not have the third bottom bolt. I forgot to take a photo of the sticker on the headlight. Wish I had. haha In case my other light goes out and I have to replace that one too! 😂

Third time the job took about 1.5 hours. I still need to calibrate the light or adjust it, but overall, I was able to DIY this issue.

This Reddit post was my source for most of the info, which also has links to two YouTube videos detailing all the steps:

Here's a before and after:

accent-lights.png