Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heard speech by Edwin Black, Author of Internal Combustion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

danny

TMCing Since 2006
Administrator
Aug 15, 2006
California
Referral Code
I am not putting this in the off topic section because it is very related to electric cars.

Today I went to a fund raiser for a charity that is trying to help support green technologies that will help reduce the usage of oil in the world. They focused on the
benefit this would have for the US and Israel.

I really now feel fired up about doing what I can to make electric cars happen.
Edwin Black, author of Internal combustion was a guest speaker.
He told us a lot of stuff that is basically in the book including the
history of fuel/energy and how people up top and with the power and money have contributed to destroying the world just for the sake of making money.
He even went into General Motors's and IBM's(IBM being unrelated to the energy discussion) involvement with the Nazis.

All I can say is that I am very impressed with this nonprofit organization and with Edwin Black. The charity/non-profit org. is very concerned with Israel, and whether you are positive or negative about Israel, its hard to argue against what they are doing. In fact it is ironic that many of the anti-israel people in this country are also very "green" and will have a hard time being rationally against this charity. Although I suppose if one thinks badly enough of Israel, then to that person, anything that helps Israel would be bad to them.

Anyways, I'm not trying to stir up a political discussion about whether or not you like Israel or not.

Edwin was surprisingly positive about hydrogen, claiming we aleady have an infrustructure for it and that the need for a hydrogen highway is false. He claims we use hydrogen all the time I think to make fuel "unleaded"? He said something like this but don't relie on me, for I may be mistaken to exactly what he did say.

He also said that we must support all efficient ways of getting off oil, not just one. He was extremely pro electric cars.

He says the best way to get off oil is not to go through the government which is corrupt and controlled by special interest groups, but is to get fleet owners to switch over to electric, or natural gas, or brazilian cane ethanol or hydrogen. He says that if walmart were to do this, it would change the world.

Check out this website: www.fundgreen.org
Download the brochure and you'll notice on the third page pictures of the roadster:biggrin::wink:

Anyways, let me know what you think and if you have any questions about what he said I am happy to answer them. I would go into more detail but I do not want to by mistake supply you with any info that is wrong so I would suggest reading the book if you are very interested. We talked about Edwin Black a little in these threads here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php?t=327&highlight=edwin+black
and here http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php?t=398&highlight=edwin+black

vfx seems to have been the one who has read the book

dsacks6,

I'll read the links shortly. My first direction to any party whose objectives are to wean the world off of oil is to think about the audience. If you go talking about supporting Israel to a bunch of liberals, you are not going to get very far. However, if you go about it in terms of global warming, you may make some headway. Ugh, got to run.

Edwin was surprisingly positive about hydrogen, claiming we aleady have an infrustructure for it and that the need for a hydrogen highway is false. He claims we use hydrogen all the time I think to make fuel "unleaded"? He said something like this but don't relie on me, for I may be mistaken to exactly what he did say.

By hydrogen, could he have meant the hydrogen in gasoline's chemical make-up?

How Stuff Works Gasoline Article
Wikipedia Gasoline Article

"When you burn gasoline under ideal conditions, with plenty of oxygen, you get carbon dioxide (from the carbon atoms in gasoline), water (from the hydrogen atoms) and lots of heat."

What the hydrogen hype is about is just using hydrogen by itself or chemically bonded to some other atom besides carbon. In the end, it still comes down to efficiency.

Fuel Cell
Battery

I think he was referring to hydrogen as a part of oil processing. "Hydrocracking" uses hydrogen to help convert crude oil to diesel, jet fuel, and other things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocracking

So, technically speaking, there is a "hydrogen infrastructure" out there, but not of the kind that'll do hydrogen-powered cars much good.

-Ryan

Refining also uses a lot of electrical power. Although I don't have any numbers to back this up, I've heard that the electricity now used to refine a gallon of gasoline could propel an electric car the same distance without the gasoline.