Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hearing lots of little rocks getting kicked up when driving new M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my new M3P less than two weeks ago. It’s an awesome car! I’ve barely driven it (have been on vacation) but I notice whenever I drive it around town I hear tons of little rocks getting kicked up by the wheels (and presumably marring the paint, or at least risking such). I haven’t noticed any damage yet, but I‘m guessing the sticky performance tires are picking up lots of rocks and causing the noise. I haven’t noticed this when I drove my mom’s M3LR RWD (19” wheels), and her rocker panels still look fine after 40K miles.

I don’t think PPF is worth it (especially on the rocker panels since I’ve heard reports of the PPF peeling off the factory paint when it’s removed. That pretty much defeats the purpose IMO). Have other folks noticed lots of rock banging on their M3P? I’m thinking mudflaps might help, but all the flaps I see online are “3D” molded and it seems like that would rub against the rocker panel and scratch it over time. Am I over thinking this? Maybe all the rocks are just hitting the inside of the wheel liner?

Tire/road sounds are more obvious in a Tesla than they are in ICE cars. One of the first things I noticed when first driving my M3 was all the noises I'd rarely heard when driving my much noisier ICE car (a heavily modified Subaru STI that legit gave me tinnitus from years of putting up with its rumble). Tires rolling, pebbles getting kicked up, suspension sounds, etc.