Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To flush-wheel owners: debris kick up a concern?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new owner of a P85D with the 21-inch turbine wheels in 8.5" width at all four corners. I've been contemplating either adding spacers to get a more flushed appearance or new wheels with 20-something offset to do the same. When looking at the side-body contour after the wheel arches, I noticed that the sunken wheels/tires are pretty flushed to the lower rocker body so that any debris or rain being kicked up from the tires will only end up in the wheel well and not at the body. If you flush out your wheels to the top fender, your wheel/tires are now extended past the bottom rocker panels wherein you can potentially kick up debris/rocks and/or rain/mud onto the body and maybe even to rear flared fenders. Not sure how much mud guards will even help here.

My questions is do you just not care, avoid driving in any area with dirt/debris/loose gravel, avoid driving in the rain, or just PPF the crap outta the bottom half of the side of the car?

Hope I'm making sense. I'm hesitant to get spacers or new wheels and just keeping the turbine wheels sunken into the wheel wells for this purpose alone. Plus, I'm starting to get used to the look of the wheels a bit sunken in. Perhaps even gaining some aerodynamic gains?

Here's a pic of the rear. Notice where the red lines show how debris can be kicked up by the wheel and hit the body (imagine the same for the front tires):

kick up debris.jpg

Last edited:
The area most prone to wear is underneath the rear door. This is why new cars have PPF here from factory.
I'd say go for it, but definitely add some PPF to that area. It will make the car look much meaner as you probably have seen pictures off. It will look crazy wide from the rear.
Rear bumper/trim seems to be holding up very well even when driving on gravel roads.

I had my car wrapped in Xpel Stealth mainly for this reason and with about 4k miles on the car the Xpel coverage before the rear wheels/below the rear door is peppered with barely discernible pockmarks from road debris. This was on the factory 21" setup on my MSP. I added carbon fiber mud guards from The Original Carbon Guards and hopefully that's helping. That might be a good starting point for you (there are a number of mudguard options, including from Tesla), but you'll need something or PPF to avoid damage to your paint and particularly if you decide to go even wider or more flush.

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'm gonna buy some PPF to cover that lower rear door section regardless.

Looks like it's gonna be +20mm front and +25mm rear spacers. Does anyone know if adding spacers will affect camber since you're pushing the wheels out more? I plan to take a degree measurement before and after install the spacers however wanted to ask ahead of time.

Gonna add mud guards as well, just in case.

This is how mine looks like, they are aftermarket 19x9”rims with offset 37mm. It required only 5mm spacer at front to clear the suspension. All original paint, without PPF or such cover. These two side panels are from left (second photo) and right (third photo) side. It all depends how good the alignment of different panels are. The right side rear door edge has the most damage from road debris. Installed the mud-flaps when I took possession of the car four years ago, so been second owner.

3A26A743-4DF6-43A9-933D-FB54E240BA98.jpeg

5B1D2AFF-DDC5-4594-A6EE-2A0014779A4B.jpeg

6FF10C32-8CCC-442A-8C51-A91590A7B99C.jpeg

5B13B195-DA14-4749-B403-4F63BA7FB4D2.jpeg

This is how mine looks like, they are aftermarket 19x9”rims with offset 37mm. It required only 5mm spacer at front to clear the suspension. All original paint, without PPF or such cover. These two side panels are from left (second photo) and right (third photo) side. It all depends how good the alignment of different panels are. The right side rear door edge has the most damage from road debris. Installed the mud-flaps when I took possession of the car four years ago, so been second owner.

So you're not entirely flush and looks like you are somewhat flushed to the mud flaps so those flaps must have worked in minimizing debris kick ups.

With 20mm front and 25mm rear spacers, I will be pretty flushed to the top fender and will have major tire exposure beyond the lower body. I think mud flaps and PPF will do the trick.

Reactions: KalJoMoS