Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Heavy steering" in extreme cold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never owned a car where the steering did not get at least a little heaver in sub 0°F weather. That includes the Tesla. There are lubricants in the rack or recirculating ball.

I should say there was one exception. That was my 2014 Infiniti Q50 with DAS. The first and still only production automobile with no physical connection between the steering wheel and the rack. A true "drive by wire". That doesn't count though.
Thank your for your answer rpiotro!

Which Tesla model do you own?

I can understand the steering getting a little heavier, but to the point of not getting back in neutral position by itself?

That "drive by wire" look either super good or totally disconnected from really, i would have to try it :D.

Thank your for your answer rpiotro!

Which Tesla model do you own?

I can understand the steering getting a little heavier, but to the point of not getting back in neutral position by itself?

That "drive by wire" look either super good or totally disconnected from really, i would have to try it :D.
2021 M3 SR+. The steering should return to center by itself. A little slower but still do it.

The DAS in my Q50 was awesome. It has been derided for lack of feel but never praised for precision. It was like driving a video game. The car went where you pointed it. It resisted tram-lining and crosswind buffeting. Plus the steering response and weighting was programmable. I'd do it again but in all fairness the steering on the Tesla is pretty damned good in its own right. Probably the third best of any car I have owned.