Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Heavy steering" in extreme cold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine will start off at 5am saying it's pulling 48A, but it will show that it's charging at 0 mph for about a half hour.

I suspect it's because the pack gets cold-soaked overnight, and the 1st half hour or so is just getting up to a temp where it will accept current.

When it's this cold, I've had to start my morning charge a half hour earlier....tomorrow, I'll have to set it back to ~4am for a 7am departure. Brrrr

Model 3, Long Range, Rear Wheel Drive. I'm in Chicago, and heading to work this morning it was -23F (-30C). I noticed as I got further into my drive, the steering feel became much heavier and it took more effort to make turns. It almost felt like my old Land Rover when the power steering went out, although not quite to that extreme.

Is "heavy steering" a normal symptom in ridiculously cold weather?
You may be feeling some traction control if you are on slippery roads.

My drain progress today. Car sitting out in the cold at job parking lot.

8am - 206 miles left -20 degrees F
9am - 202 miles left -20 degrees F
10am - 194 miles left -20 degrees F - snowflake shows up on battery.
11am - 188 miles left -18 degrees F - snowflake shows up on battery.
12pm - 185 miles left -18 degrees F - snowflake shows up on battery.
1pm - 184 miles left -17 degrees F - snowflake shows up on battery.
2pm - 183 miles left -18 degrees F - snowflake shows up on battery.

On the way to work avg Wh/mile = 482 from the map screen.

energy_map.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing
My drain progress today. Car sitting out in the cold at job parking lot.

8am - 208 miles left -20 degrees F
9am - 202 miles left -20 degrees F
10am - 194 miles left -20 degrees F - snowflake shows up on battery.
11am - 188 miles left -18 degrees F - snowflake shows up on battery.
12pm - 185 miles left -18 degrees F - snowflake shows up on battery.
1pm - 184 miles left -17 degrees F - snowflake shows up on battery.
2pm - 183 miles left -18 degrees F - snowflake shows up on battery.

On the way to work avg Wh/mile = 482 from the map screen.

Sounds about right. You may gain some of that back if your pack has a chance to heat up any on your ride home.

Model 3, Long Range, Rear Wheel Drive. I'm in Chicago, and heading to work this morning it was -23F (-30C). I noticed as I got further into my drive, the steering feel became much heavier and it took more effort to make turns. It almost felt like my old Land Rover when the power steering went out, although not quite to that extreme.

Is "heavy steering" a normal symptom in ridiculously cold weather?
I experienced the same thing this morning. And also a lot of creaking noises.

As a side note, I left home with 241 miles of range on a cool battery pack. Drove at 65 mph for a total of 77 miles round trip. Heat at 70. Heated seat on level 2. Tire pressure are 39psi on all 4 wheels. Pre heated for 10 minutes in the office parking lot after the car sat there for 6 hours. Arrived home with only 96 miles. :eek:

Everyone,

Let me correct myself.

I didn't experience any heavy steering this morning on the way to work as I kept my car in the garage all night. I have a 49 mile drive to work and everything was smooth.

NOW...

I left my car out in the -20 weather all day at work and it was the only car in the huge lot.

I got in the car and put it in drive and holy smokes....I see what you guys are saying. It was extremely heavy to steer.

I noticed the same exact heavy steering on my way back home from work. Car sat 10 hours in parking garage. I though it was odd as well. Glad I'm not the only one. I checked steering config and it was still on comfort. My tire pressure did drop all the way to 35 and warmed up to 41 on my way home.

I checked my charge settings. 44A. But it was charging only 11A this morning.
it is just freaking cold,

If it is drawing 11 A but you get 0 mi/h it is likely heating the battery. If you've been changing for quite a while and it is still drawing 11 A and all of it goes toward charging and no warning about ground issues etc. then I guess it is time to check with the service...

Hi rhino2627 !

Did you ever got an answer for your heavy steering in cold weather problem?

My Model 3 2019 SR+ is doing the exact same thing here in Quebec. -25C and the steering is very hard and sluggish. Doesn't go back in position itself.

Every thing is normal from -20C and above.

Thank you.

I've never owned a car where the steering did not get at least a little heaver in sub 0°F weather. That includes the Tesla. There are lubricants in the rack or recirculating ball.

I should say there was one exception. That was my 2014 Infiniti Q50 with DAS. The first and still only production automobile with no physical connection between the steering wheel and the rack. A true "drive by wire". That doesn't count though.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2