Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello After Months of Lurking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

I've been here on TMC researching and reading up on all things Tesla for years. Love the brand (day 1 stock owner) and day 1 M3 reservation. I finally joined TMC in May when I placed my order for a MS. Sadly I cancelled the order due to cold feet. I usually buy used (let someone else take the depreciation), but when the point of the car is to be cutting edge, I didn't know what to do, plus the tax credit is a nice perk.

Finally, after 4 months, I ordered a CPO P85+, because I am used to owning AMGs (CLS55 and C63) and BMW Ms (M3 and M6) but after a test drive with AP, I am going with a factory order 60D. Maybe in 3 years a P100D, after my wife takes delivery of our M3.

Build:
  • Solid Black
  • Black NexGen Seats
  • CF Trim
  • Pano
  • Black headliner
  • PUP
  • UHFS
  • AP
  • SAS (not sure I will finally order)
I am open for pointers on any of the above, especially SAS. Have a few more days to confirm.

Either way, I will finally be a part of the MS family and wanted to say hello to everyone from Atlanta!

Happy to be here!

Hi all!

I've been here on TMC researching and reading up on all things Tesla for years. Love the brand (day 1 stock owner) and day 1 M3 reservation. I finally joined TMC in May when I placed my order for a MS. Sadly I cancelled the order due to cold feet. I usually buy used (let someone else take the depreciation), but when the point of the car is to be cutting edge, I didn't know what to do, plus the tax credit is a nice perk.

Finally, after 4 months, I ordered a CPO P85+, because I am used to owning AMGs (CLS55 and C63) and BMW Ms (M3 and M6) but after a test drive with AP, I am going with a factory order 60D. Maybe in 3 years a P100D, after my wife takes delivery of our M3.

Build:
  • Solid Black
  • Black NexGen Seats
  • CF Trim
  • Pano
  • Black headliner
  • PUP
  • UHFS
  • AP
I am open for pointers on any of the above, especially SAS. Have a few more days to confirm.

Either way, I will finally be a part of the MS family and wanted to say hello to everyone from Atlanta!

Happy to be here!
Welcome. People seem happy with both SAS and coils. Some worry about long term reliability of SAS as they tend to fail, on cars of other brands and are expensive to repair. I got SAS and like it, but think coils would have been fine also.

Hi all!

Build:
  • Solid Black
  • Black NexGen Seats
  • CF Trim
  • Pano
  • Black headliner
  • PUP
  • UHFS
  • AP

Happy to be here!
Why switch to the 60D? Did you drive a 60D? This seems like a popular choice, and a good value.

I wish I could take the plunge. My feet are cold too. :)

Welcome. People seem happy with both SAS and coils. Some worry about long term reliability of SAS as they tend to fail, on cars of other brands and are expensive to repair. I got SAS and like it, but think coils would have been fine also.

Thanks Thimel, happy to be here and excited about my new car. I may save the money on the SAS, the more I am reading. I know what you mean about the issues with SAS all too well. I had failures for a Rover I owned, but fortunately under warranty both times.

Why switch to the 60D? Did you drive a 60D? This seems like a popular choice, and a good value.

I wish I could take the plunge. My feet are cold too. :)

I drove a 90D for the weekend that allowed me to restrict it to a 60 and 60D, knowing my wife wouldn't approve a 90D because she wants her M3. I drove the loaner in 60D back to back with my buddy's P85+ and no question the P85+ was a great ride. Nice balance of acceleration and handling, but it still wasn't my AMG or BMW M6. Not that it had to be, but it also didn't give me the head and shoulders rush that an AMG/BMW M does over the base models. I found the 60D more than capable and quite sticky in the corners for my daily commute. Combined with AP and the upgraded interior, I decided to make the switch. Plus I am a little more future proofed from a new tweet from Elon, if you know what I mean.

You will take the plunge at the right time. It took me years! ;)

SAS is a hard question. I ordered it (my car is in transit) because my old car scrapes bottom sometimes, and I want the lift for some convex driveway entrances. I also found in test driving both coil and air that the air was a smoother ride and I think quieter.

That said (as another poster said elsewhere), the SAS solves a problem that it creates in that SAS is a lower ride than coils, but can be raised to correct for it. The air suspension maximum ground clearance is 6.4" and the coil clearance is 5.65 inches, less than an inch difference. The air suspension range is 4.7 - 6.4 in., less than 2 inches difference.

The problem of maintenance costs is often mentioned, but quite rare in or occurrence judging by Tesla forum reports (I've only found one). Anyway, I expect my car to be under warranty all the time I own it, so the expense of a SAS failure isn't a concern.

On the highway, the lower ride of SAS is supposed to make the car more aerodynamic, but I have never seen any specific claim of increased range because of it. I'm guessing that SAS is heavier than coils (could be wrong) which could offset gains from a lower coefficient of drag.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
SAS is a hard question. I ordered it (my car is in transit) because my old car scrapes bottom sometimes, and I want the lift for some convex driveway entrances. I also found in test driving both coil and air that the air was a smoother ride and I think quieter.

That said (as another poster said elsewhere), the SAS solves a problem that it creates in that SAS is a lower ride than coils, but can be raised to correct for it. The air suspension maximum ground clearance is 6.4" and the coil clearance is 5.65 inches, less than an inch difference. The air suspension range is 4.7 - 6.4 in., less than 2 inches difference.

The problem of maintenance costs is often mentioned, but quite rare in or occurrence judging by Tesla forum reports (I've only found one). Anyway, I expect my car to be under warranty all the time I own it, so the expense of a SAS failure isn't a concern.

On the highway, the lower ride of SAS is supposed to make the car more aerodynamic, but I have never seen any specific claim of increased range because of it. I'm guessing that SAS is heavier than coils (could be wrong) which could offset gains from a lower coefficient of drag.

Great points on SAS. Doubt I will have the car long enough to deal with any out of warranty issues. I do wonder, however, if I could benefit from the occasional raise on certain driveways. Well, I only have a few more days to decide. Thanks for all the info, particularly re: the ride travel!