Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello, formal intro from New Owner to be

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings Tesla Community -

I'm pretty excited about the delivery of my Gray MY with tow package; it seems to be finally coming (2 weeks out, ordered in Jan, 22). I'm still looking for the roof rack (OEM or Tesla) and have some questions about home charging (Tesla or OEM, again) and the delivery process (just details I can't seem to find from Tesla). Still wondering if I'm doing the right thing but going through with it mainly because it's been 8 months and have a locked price.

I wanted to get a formal intro out so I can start asking questions in the right places!

Cheers!
-d

Welcome to the Tesla family.

Hang in there, it has been a long wait but the end is near. Be forewarned the delivery process will most likely be frustrating due to lack of communication. However, shortly after you get your MY, the frustration will fade and you can enjoy a wonderful car.

DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT get the roof rack. Here is skinny on that issue, the rubber will rot on the tensioning tabs unevenly, if you study the diagrams you will see that force vectoring is not perpendicular but medial (towards glass) to the catch point on the frame under the roof, so if a rubber grommet rots the entire weight of the loaded roof rack with shift and the metal tensioner will shatter your pano roof glass. Run a search, plenty of examples here, also including service center installs. Shattering seems to happen in turns under load (bikes, canoes, roof boxes). It is a design flaw. Better get a tow hitch and a small trailer.

The Chinese people, though suffering under a commie dictatorship, have retained their creativity, so thx to the MIC (China) M3/Y aftermarket accessories abound on Aliexpress, just make sure you read the ratings and separate bot reviews from real life ones.

Last edited: