Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner From Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've already made a handful of posts, but I figured I should introduce myself.

I'm picking up a Model Y Long Range later today. It's an Austin build in blue (wife's favorite color,) and I'm still on the bench when it comes to adding the acceleration option later. Out of the box, it already makes my 13-year-oled daughter nervous, but she likes it. :)

I'll be installing a circuit in two weeks for home charging. Initially I'll be using a 14-50 plug with a 50A breaker, but the circuit itself is spec'd for a 60A breaker (4# wiring,) which will be installed later along with a wall connector.

The VIN indicates an Austin build, which is not surprising given that I'm in the Dallas area. I was hoping I'd get the matrix headlights, but that looks unlikely based on research I did this morning. Anyone know if Austin has been installing matrix headlights with more regularity in the last few months?

Lastly, some background. I'm an embedded software engineer working in the aerospace industry. All the computer technology in Teslas is right up my alley.

My father was a an antique car collector. I've been working on cars since I was big enough to hold a can of WD-40. Instead of starting a car collection myself, I gravitated towards morotsports. I used to race a 1988 Mustang GT in the American Iron Series with the National Auto Sport Association. I stopped racing when my daughter was born, but I keep my skills sharp by teaching others how to race in various high performance driving schools. Sadly, they do not allow EVs in the school, since fighting a battery fire requires specific traiing and tools with the race tracks do not yet have. So the new Model Y will have to stay at home. :(

Reactions: father_of_6
Congratulations on your new purchase. I too am from Dallas area, if you don’t mind me asking you whom are you using for home charging setup install? I am looking around for installing 14-50 outlet in my garage as well.

Congratulations on your new purchase. I too am from Dallas area, if you don’t mind me asking you whom are you using for home charging setup install? I am looking around for installing 14-50 outlet in my garage as well
I'm using Idiot Electric, LLC.

In other words, I'm installing the circuit myself. I've done electric work before, and adding a circuit like this is pretty simple and straightforward. The hard part is getting the right cable and other parts so that the circuit is safe and adheres to local electrical codes.

If you're not confortable doing electrical work, by all means cire a licensed electrician to do the work, but do some research (there are plenty of videos on installing therse outlets,) so you're comfortable with the work being done and why its being done the way it is.

Also, make sure the plug itself is a heavy duty or industrial plug. The $15 plugs from Home Depot aren't really designed for continuous use at 48A and aren't up to lots of insertions and removals of the charger. They can overheat and can wear out and get loose, which will also make them overheat. The only plugs I'd use are the heavy duty ones dold under the Hubble and Bryant names (both arte make by the same company.)

Hope that helps!