Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from Australia - Feedback request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Tesla, the forum and have been impressed by the community.
I'm about to pull the trigger in purchasing my new Tesla though I have a question in terms of paint, I'm undecided on pearl white or multi coat red in terms of maintenance.
I've heard another other manufacturer pearl red (aka Mazda) is a fragile paint and difficult to match.
Is that that same with Tesla red ?
I would like to hear owner's experience with either of these colors please.
Thanks !

Teq

I've heard another other manufacturer pearl red (aka Mazda) is a fragile paint and difficult to match.

There was a thread on the forums recently about someone buying a Multi Coat Red inventory car that had minor paint damage on the bumper. A Tesla employee told them Multi Coat Red was difficult to match and they might consider just leaving the damage as is....I can't remember the title of the thread though.

When I ordered my car at the Tesla Store, a Tesla employee told me his new Multi-Coat Red Model 3 was delivered with some minor paint damage and the Tesla approved body shop matched the color perfectly.

I know someone who owns a body shop and he told me all multi coat / multi stage paint can be difficult to match (especially on older cars), so the reputation and quality of work of the body shop is an important factor on deciding which body shop for repairs.

I have Deep Blue Metallic and the car was delivered with several paint defects (scratches, imbedded sand, etc) and the Tesla approved body shop did a perfect color match on the resprayed panels.

Good Luck and post an update on what color you decided on !

Jkoya, Thank you for the feedback.
I've decided to go with the red.
My car centric friend suggested I wrap the car with 3M paint protection wrap to keep it looking new.
Something I'll look more into.
Now the wait !

My car centric friend suggested I wrap the car with 3M paint protection wrap to keep it looking new.

I would agree with your friend, especially if you are particular with the appearance of your car. I just had a full exterior ppf wrap with Xpel Ultimate Plus installed last week. I usually had only the front protected with ppf on previous cars, but decided to cover the whole car this time. The Tesla paint seems a bit more fragile than previous cars I have owned. If you don't want to get the whole car covered, you may want to consider the front and the rocker panels.

You will love the red on any Tesla model. Congrats on the purchase !!