Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Door Glass Tempered vs Laminate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm looking for feedback on my current situation with the service center to determine what my next steps should be. I bought a 2024 Model Y at the end of January and noticed that the rear window had an imperfection in the glass that appeared like a crack. After raising a service request, the service center indicated that they'd like to wait until they see it in person before they determine if it's a blemish that would be covered or if it was related to an impact, which was fine. The service center determined that it was a blemish in the glass and that they'd cover the replacement. Upon inspection before leaving, I noticed that the new glass that was installed on the right rear, now matched the laminated/dual pane appearance of the glass on the front doors, which previously both rear windows were tempered/single pane. The coordinator agreed that the new window appeared different, indicated that there are variations between suppliers but they are essentially the same glass. They also inspected the other Model Y's on the lot and the rest of them have tempered single pane on both rear doors.

The difference in appearance is enough to convince me that it's more than a supplier variance and frustrated that it's being dismissed as such. The left pane's codes indicate is is tempered and the right pane's codes indicate it is laminated. My first ask is for input on the accuracy of my belief that tempered = single pane and laminated = double pane, and that it's a difference beyond the variance between suppliers. Second ask would be your input on if I'm unreasonable to expect that the replacement glass would match the glass on the opposite side of the car. If their proposal would be to replace the laminated right rear with a tempered right rear, I'm undecided on how I'd proceed, so I wanted to get input from the community.

TLDR: Replacement glass on right side does not match the glass on the left but service center believes it's the same glass from different supplier. Am I crazy and how much should I care that the glass doesn't match on a 1 month old car.

Sorry that the photos aren't crisp. I struggled to get a clear photo without reflections and needed to put a piece of paper behind the codes to capture them.
Thanks!
IMG_3356.jpgIMG_3355.jpgIMG_3357.jpgIMG_3354.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like the glass has the same part number as the original, which indicates that Teslas considers them to be fully interchangeable. In addition, the DOT certifications on the labels appear the be identical. I think Tesla's assertion that the difference you observe is due to a different vendor.

It looks like the glass has the same part number as the original, which indicates that Teslas considers them to be fully interchangeable. In addition, the DOT certifications on the labels appear the be identical. I think Tesla's assertion that the difference you observe is due to a different vendor.
Today is the first day I've ever inspected glass codes and am trying to learn, could you please elaborate on "the DOT certifications on the labels appear to be identical"? One is DOT1100 AS3 M1854 and the other is DOT 1202 M35G AS3. They both have AS3 which I think indicates that it is tinted and not acceptable to be used as a windshield, but the rest of the code is different.

Personally, I'd prefer double-paned, so I wouldn't mind. Maybe I'd wait a while and get them to do the left glass double-paned as well. ;)
I agree, I'm not that passionate about the single vs double but would prefer double if given the option. I think the interesting part is that the service center is adamant that the door on the left is also double paned and that they just appear different. Everything I've read indicates that "tempered" on the glass code indicates that it's single pane.

I agree, I'm not that passionate about the single vs double but would prefer double if given the option. I think the interesting part is that the service center is adamant that the door on the left is also double paned and that they just appear different. Everything I've read indicates that "tempered" on the glass code indicates that it's single pane.
Unless they clean up the edges, neither one looks like it's double-paned. At least not like the fronts which you can plainly see.....

gkhbn5agzcw51.jpg

Hard to tell from the photos but looks like they may have put a double pane window on his car.

Or is the outside pane made from glass and interior is plastic/laminate? (rear windows) Suggests they're interchangeable..

Can someone check the parts catalog and see if any of the numbers on the tags come back to the new vs old car?

Hard to tell from the photos but looks like they may have put a double pane window on his car.

Or is the outside pane made from glass and interior is plastic/laminate? (rear windows) Suggests they're interchangeable..

Can someone check the parts catalog and see if any of the numbers on the tags come back to the new vs old car?
I had a hard time getting the camera to focus on the glass. The rear passenger side window was replaced and they installed the dual pane (laminated specified on glass code) and the drivers side rear is still the single pane (tempered specified on glass code) that came from the factory. I'm being nitpicky about having the glass match on a car that is 2 months old when there is no aesthetic difference but I am really frustrated that the service center is telling me that they're both dual pane and they just look different. From a safety standpoint the side with the laminated glass is safer than the side with the tempered which implicates one of my two children.

I had a hard time getting the camera to focus on the glass. The rear passenger side window was replaced and they installed the dual pane (laminated specified on glass code) and the drivers side rear is still the single pane (tempered specified on glass code) that came from the factory. I'm being nitpicky about having the glass match on a car that is 2 months old when there is no aesthetic difference but I am really frustrated that the service center is telling me that they're both dual pane and they just look different. From a safety standpoint the side with the laminated glass is safer than the side with the tempered which implicates one of my two children.
From a safety POV, I think some might argue against the laminated glass; harder to break in an emergency extrication. Have you shown your kids how to operate the mechanical release on the door? I spent a Saturday AM drilling that with my kids.