Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello From Charlottesville, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a recent transplant to Charlotteville from Palo Alto, CA. In the 6 months before we left, I considered it a proper day if I managed to spot a red, then white, then blue Tesla in order. I tolerated seeing 2-3 reds and/or whites before the blue, but any other color restarted the search.

We were fairly early electric car adopters. We took delivery of a 2012 Leaf in mid-December of 2011. At the time we already had a 2004 Prius. I sold my 1982 Isuzu Diesel P'up Longbed to a very happy young man from Marin County. We used the Leaf for 90% of our driving, all easily reached in a round trip at 80% charge. The Prius we used for longer trips to the San Mateo coast and the Sierra. Our son inherited the Prius. We shipped the Leaf east, but there are so many places we want to go that are out of reach. It is still a 'low mileage' car at ~36,000 miles, still on its original 12V battery and OEM tires.

As I've posted elsewhere, we are looking for a fairly recent S, a relatively simple model but perhaps one with dual motors. At 80 we don't have to go that fast anymore, but we'd like to go farther in decent comfort.

At this point, I'm the 'customer' and my 'bookkeeper' is the 'resistor' in the process. She's concerned because we do not have a garage for the car. It would need to survive well in the parking space in front of our duplex at a local CCRC. She's concerned because it snows here and we've only driven in Sierra snow on chains occasionally over the last 50 years. She grew up in Minneapolis and I in north suburban Chicago where snow was part of learning how to drive.

That pretty much sums it up..

thanks
baumgrenze

...It would need to survive well in the parking space in front of our duplex at a local CCRC...

You might want to negotiate to pay for a 240V outlet for your parking spot. It could be a 30 Ampere dryer outlet or better yet a NEMA 14-50 (50A) outlet just like they have at RV parks. 120V outlet might not be able to deliver enough energy in winter because it might divert most of energy to heat your battery first and very little left to charge your battery.

...snow...

People have driven Tesla in snow for more than a decade since 2008 Roadster to now so snow is not a problem if you know how to deal with winter such as get a set of winter tires...