Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - Buying a 2015 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MSms

Nov 30, 2019
Toronto
Hey everyone!
I'm happy to say that I am days away from purchasing a 2015 Model S that has all options but high km's.
Here is my question.. Can anyone give me any advise as to what to look out for when looking at a pre-owned Tesla (2015 Model S) with high km's. Eg. Testing air bags, handles, etc..

I'd be thankful for what to look for as well as any steps on how to test anything out.. This would be my first Tesla, and I'm super excited, but just want to make sure I'm not buying a lemon...

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!! Can't wait to close this deal.

Hi MSms I got one Model S 2017 75D with rear jump seats. When I purchased most important thing I saw was whether it is still in Tesla warranty plus the features depending on your for: premium sound, heated seats, battery capacity, moonroof etc.
As far as testing, test drive and look for any noise specifically when turning. I tried the sport mode. look for fan blowing speed with AC nob.
Looked at seats and doors importantly latch noise when closed.

Service history would be good to know but Tesla will not provide until the VIN is in your name. By mid-2015 Tesla had most of the early known issues (e.g. drive motors, MCU screen leak, etc...) worked out.

When you say high mileage, what are you talking? If you can afford it, consider picking up the third-party extended warranty which I believe can be added if the car has less than 125,000 miles. It will cover many of the common failure points

Service history would be good to know but Tesla will not provide until the VIN is in your name. By mid-2015 Tesla had most of the early known issues (e.g. drive motors, MCU screen leak, etc...) worked out.

When you say high mileage, what are you talking? If you can afford it, consider picking up the third-party extended warranty which I believe can be added if the car has less than 125,000 miles. It will cover many of the common failure points

my late 2015 70D had drive motor replacement, MCU screen leak, and most likely what you refer to as etc. just some food for thought

Thanks everyone!

This gave some good things to look at.. Ended up purchasing the car and cant wait to have it as my daily driver..

Funny story.. to me at least.. I was really on the fence when i took it out for one last drive before i passed over the money.. The car felt sluggish and had no power. Not what i remember any of my other Tesla drives to be. I was stopped at a set of red lights when i noticed a setting that was highlighted "Chill" instead of "Standard" under Ride or something.. Switched it over and wham, the torque and speed we all love. That sealed the deal. Goes to show that we really need to understand the settings on this car. A couple of things switched on or off can change the whole car.

Thanks again for your time!

Reactions: MichaelP90DL