Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Figuring Out Strange VIN# Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys and gals...I placed an order for my LR AWD TM3 when the configuration that I wanted popped up in inventory. I was so thrilled that the exact car I was thinking about ordering was available locally (in Colorado) that I placed my order immediately. The car is MSM/White with Aero Wheels. It was also equipped with FSD, which I did NOT want, so I contacted customer service and they were nice enough to remove that option for me and adjust the price accordingly. (Because the car was equipped with FSD, I can be certain that it has the new AP3 computer, so that is a bonus).

However, here is where the story gets interesting. Most of the other cars that have appeared in inventory in the last few weeks have VIN # ending with 399XXX or even 400XXX. The car I ordered has a VIN of 195XXX. So, it would appear that (based on the VIN) this car was made quite a while ago, but it has 3 miles and the newest generation FSD-capable computer. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on here? Why would a car with such a low VIN be sitting around for so long after production?

Am I likely to have more quality-control issues from an earlier car like this one appears to be?

(Any insight is greatly appreciated...I have been reading every thread on the forum and all the new builds seem to have VINs consistently in the 3XX to 4XX range and people seem to be using that info to determine an approximate build date.)

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
You are indeed lucky to find what you want in inventory, but I would not be certain that you will have HW3. Some people with FSD and May build dates are still getting HW2.5, though most build dates after mid April have HW3. If this car has 2.5, and you don’t order FSD, they will not upgrade you.

Unfortunately Tesla VINs are assigned in blocks, and jump around, with some later manufacturing dates having having lower VINs. So you cannot determine the build date from that. You can contact your delivery advisor for the actual build date.

Also sometimes a car will come in with some minor delivery damage, or be rejected by the original purchaser, and go out for repairs. When done, it can go into inventory. I would not personally have any hesitation in taking one of these, subject to the standard inspection at delivery time.

Last edited:
I would not be certain that you will have HW3. Some people with FSD and May build dates are still getting HW2.5, though most build dates after mid April have HW3. If this car has 2.5, and you don’t order FSD, they will not upgrade you.

Tesla VINs jump around, with some later manufacturing dates having having lower VINs. So you cannot determine the build date from that. You can contact your delivery advisor for the actual build date.

Thank you for your reply...yes, I just learned (with some additional research) that this car would not have HW3. It appears that it came off the assembly line in January of 2019, which makes me a little suspicious why the car has been sitting around for so long when inventory is depleted everywhere and people are scrambling to beat the June 30 deadline.

Thanks again for your help!

Thank you for your reply...yes, I just learned (with some additional research) that this car would not have HW3. It appears that it came off the assembly line in January of 2019, which makes me a little suspicious why the car has been sitting around for so long when inventory is depleted everywhere and people are scrambling to beat the June 30 deadline.

Thanks again for your help!
Tesla builds the Model 3 in batches and then ships them to lots around the country where they are stored until a buyer is found. I wouldn't worry about the car at all as you see it only has 3 miles on it. The car will have AP2.5 HW but will be upgraded to the AP3 computer in the future if you ever decide to add FSD.

But in the original post the OP stated they did not want FSD, in which case I would personally pass on this vehicle and order a new one so that you will at least have the HW3 hardware even if you don’t decide to purchase FSD on the vehicle. It’s unknown whether Tesla may develop non-FSD features that take advantage of HW3 down the road so it’s better to have HW3 just in case they do unless you get a discount for taking an older inventory model.

Just a quirk of the system, your 195XXX car was probably way in the back of the shipping lot, and orders for other cars were filled with cars in front of yours. Then more cars were brought in to refill the lot, so your particular car was still way in the back and just sat for longer. If it only has 3 miles, you can be sure of its history.