Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help for Buying First Fixer Upper Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks that is good information.

To elaborate a little further. The panoramic sunroof was available as an option until sometime in Q4 2018 when it was removed from online configuration utility. There are a few cars (like mine) that were built in early 2019 and have the sunroof (off-menu option before it was completely phased out).

I would say the majority of Model S cars made between 2012-2018 have the sunroof. Some people opted for the metal roof and a few went for the solid glass (but that was more rare). More than likely an older Model S will have the sunroof but always better to check if possible.

If I were looking for a used Model S and balancing cost and other options, my sweet spot would be a mid-2015 85D (which I purchased used in 2019). The interior in the 2015 is not that far off from the 2016-2021 models.

More detailed reasoning:
1. Next Gen Seats (2015+)
These seats are significantly more comfortable that the previous seats which felt like sitting on a park bench (at least to me).

2. AP1 Hardware Standard (2015+)
Prior to 2015, AP hardware was available as part of an optional tech package and prior to 2014, was not available at all.

3. LTE Modem (mid-2015+)
Prior to the middle of 2015, the connectivity used in the car was a 3G modem which is no longer support and won't work. You'd need to either upgrade to the LTE modem ($500) or better yet, the MCU2 system ($1500-$2000 depending on whether you want to keep FM/XM radio).

4. Drive Unit Revisions (2012-2015+)
The drive unit was revised several times between 2012 and 2015. 2015 units are pretty durable and do not appear to have the same failure rate as earlier units although it is more likely that an older Model S - (e.g. 2013) would be on its second or third drive unit already. Note: the coolant issue with the LDU seals only affects RWD and Performance cars. Standard dual motor models do not have the LDU so it's not a failure point.

Did you buy the car?
I didn’t buy it. I have a feeling it will be on the market for a little while. I was considering taking a look but at this point I wouldn’t know exactly what I should be looking for. The owner sent me some diagnostics from the mcu. That’s all I have to work with right now

If I had a good feeling that the I could cover my potential losses by parting the car out I would probably be more open to a project like this even while still learning more about teslas. I would t be ant to get hit with a drive unit that can’t be repaired and a bad battery

The model S I was looking at sold.

Thought I might use this thread to list the next one I am looking at to get some advice.

I see a 2013, original owner has for sale. The unlimited supercharge went to his new Tesla, so that is not part of the deal.

It is an AWD model, and not performance, so no LDU issues.

The owner said the range is about 200miles, so I assume a small pack. Was replaced under warranty in 2019, so maybe that means it is a more reliable generation? I may go to visit to look at the battery sticker.

Only issues mentioned are intermittent problem with the headlights, a driver door handle/lock that works on and off and no interior heat.

Not sure about the interior heat, but other issues might be minor.

Listed at 12,500 with 120K miles and it has a working panoramic sunroof

Any thoughts here appreciated.

Link?

Thought I might use this thread to list the next one I am looking at to get some advice.

I see a 2013, original owner has for sale. The unlimited supercharge went to his new Tesla, so that is not part of the deal.

The owner said the range is about 200miles, so I assume a small pack. Was replaced under warranty in 2019, so maybe that means it is a more reliable generation? I may go to visit to look at the battery sticker.

Only issues mentioned are intermittent problem with the headlights, a driver door handle/lock that works on and off and no interior heat.

Intermittent headlights is most likely caused by a loose/corroded/missing ground bolt. This was a known issue on earlier Model S cars. Rich Benoit (Rich Rebuilds) showed and discussed it in one of his videos.

As for no interior heat, this one could be more involved to resolve as it involves the PTC heater components. I believe most people facing this issue replace the PTC heater (but be sure to get the correct one for the car - revision numbers count here).

For $12.5k, if it's mechanically sound, might be a reasonable deal IF you have money to throw into it to get everything sorted. Hard to say more without knowing the exact model/configuration.

Hello,
I have recently become interested in picking up a model S because I have always loved the look of the vehicle (not really crazy about other Teslas) and the prices have become affordable. For example I found a 2013 with 94K for sale for 11,500. The catch is that it has a coolant leak. Owner bought at auction and drove it for 3 months before the issues surfaced. From what I have learned up until now, it is a RWD and may very well have the Large Drive Unit coolant issue.

What follows are some questions and I hope I might get some guidance here.

If I were to pickup this model S, I have read about repairing the RDU with bearings and seals, with a parts cost around $1000. If the unit is unrepairable and I cannot find a suitable LDU, is there any possibility I could part out and limit my losses?

Also anyone know how frequently these LDUs are deemed unrepairable? I know the issue is coolant in the motor and eventually in the inverter, but it was purchased prior to the winter cold and ran well at that point (according to seller)

One feature this car has and I am willing to deal with the upkeep is the operable panoramic sunroof. From what I have learned, the AWD (non performance) model S vehicles appear to have less issues (at least with the drive units). Is it common to find a two motor model S with the sunroof?

Thanks!
I have a 2013 Model S I want to sell in a similar price range to what you're looking at. 77k miles. Currently runs perfectly. No errors, no weird noises, but I've not checked for coolant in the LDU myself. The LDU was replaced by previous owner under warranty, and if you're interested I can call Tesla and confirm when that was done. Battery is original. I'm located in Indianapolis; I'm sure there are shipping options at reasonable cost if you're interested. PM me if you want more info.

Reactions: goodbadboys9