Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Large Drive Unit issue in Model S. Is this unit also used in Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read quite a bit about the issue with the LDU rotor shaft seal failure which allows coolant to enter the electrical portion of the motor in RWD Model S, and Performance models. A friend of mine is shopping for a 2020/21 Model Y. Do they use different motors or some also use the LDU? Was not sure where to post this question as all my research has been on the Model S, not the Y motors.

I've read quite a bit about the issue with the LDU rotor shaft seal failure which allows coolant to enter the electrical portion of the motor in RWD Model S, and Performance models. A friend of mine is shopping for a 2020/21 Model Y. Do they use different motors or some also use the LDU? Was not sure where to post this question as all my research has been on the Model S, not the Y motors.

I'll defer to the experts, but I believe the Model S/X motors are different than those on the 3/Y in most cases. They do share some common componentry such as inverters and whatnot, but the front MYLR motor is smaller and pure-induction design, while the rear is a permanent-magnet type. I don't believe the coolant issue from Model S LDU is seen on it's smaller siblings

Reactions: shawndh1