Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Helping Tesla battery development

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kcheng76

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2015
Hummelstown, PA
I am a Penn State faculty member working to create capacity for large-scale, automated, large-field, high-resolution microCT instrumentation. I know that battery terminal degradation is a significant problem, especially with fast charging. Functional change correlates with morphological changes that can be detected in the micron scale. My lab has customized microCT (either synchrotron- or laboratory-based instrumentation) for an unprecedented combination of resolution (presently 0.5 micron isotropic voxels) and field-of-view (presently 5 mm, about to go to 12 mm at modified, and potentially super-resolved resolution). This instrumentation is being applied to a Geometry of Life project and I want to add sustainability research to its applications as soon as possible. If Elon or anyone on the battery development team is interested in contributing two samples, one unused batter, and another with diminished function, we can do a pilot experiment in the coming months. We are working towards a dedicated new beamline at Argonne and/or Lawrence Berkeley laboratory and building one at Penn State right now. If interested, contact me at [email protected]. I think Elon would understand how frustrating it is to have to expend so much more time asking for money, and dealing with unreasonable resistance, rather than focusing more one's life juice on the important work. See Chenglab.io, or email me at [email protected]. The biological uses are reviewed here: https://researchoutreach.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Keith-Cheng.pdf

Background: I have been a Tesla owner since 2013, and am an MD/PhD dedicated to making the world a better place through research primarily using genetics and now imaging-based mechanisms for obtaining deeper understanding of gene function, diseases, and toxicity, and to increase the validity and reproducibility of research by creating computational mechanisms for morphological phenotyping of cells, organisms, and materials. The following has been revised and will appear next month in the Journal of Synchrotron Radiation, but is available now at A Wide-Field Micro-Computed Tomography Detector: Micron Resolution at Half-centimeter Scale