Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hide-A-Key (with magnets) placement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um so if I drop my phone in the lake or it just dies on batteries which happens roughly once every 2 weeks, I’m supposed to do what ? Hope someone’s at the boat ramp who feels like letting me use their cell phone to call someone to install a app to unlock my car .. lol. That’s ridiculous. Tape a god d@m key card somewhere and ur back on the road in seconds instead of possible hours.. I never understand why people make simple stuff complicated
I have a strong suspicion you spoke before reading that which you opined about.

Reactions: Ormond
Front bumper has that circular knock out that you push to expose the front toe hook location. Might be a good location to hide a house key, with some sort of holder secured in there. Would need to secure it well to avoid shaking loose while driving.

Reactions: TSLY
I found this thread because I ALSO bought a hide-a-key for my HOUSE keys and can't find a place under my Tesla Model 3. And before others chime in, NO I can't replace my house lock because it is a Condo and they have regulations. I need a place to hide my house key and not inside my car, mainly because if I've accidentally left my house keys inside my house (my tesla card/phone would probably be with them). My house door locks automatically behind me so if I forget my purse, I'm out of luck. The hide-a-key is the only way. Soooo, has anyone found a place under the Tesla car yet?

I found this thread because I ALSO bought a hide-a-key for my HOUSE keys and can't find a place under my Tesla Model 3. And before others chime in, NO I can't replace my house lock because it is a Condo and they have regulations. I need a place to hide my house key and not inside my car, mainly because if I've accidentally left my house keys inside my house (my tesla card/phone would probably be with them). My house door locks automatically behind me so if I forget my purse, I'm out of luck. The hide-a-key is the only way. Soooo, has anyone found a place under the Tesla car yet?
Ditch the hide-a-key and store the spare house key behind the tow hook anchor cover on the driver's side of the front bumper. Maybe use duck tape and/or a small velcro wrap. You could also leave a spare key with a neighbor.

The seat rail is best magnetic option I've found.

Like was mentioned I would put the house key in the glove box and set up a pin. I have keys in my car just in the center console and am not worried, but my car is in the garage at night. I assume you’re worried about someone breaking into the car in your driveway and then into your house. I bought these storage bins from tesla they look factory original and would be a great hiding spot. You could hide a single key underneath the rubber liner and no one would even know the liner is removable.

As for the surfer; have you tried an RFID ring?

I personally always carry both by keycard in my wallet and my phone, the phone usually unlocks the car, but I have had the car be dumb before and not respond so I had to pull out the keycard a couple times. I will say though, this literally happened to me yesterday, my friend was away on a business trip and his wife was driving his Tesla. She has one of those tesla car key fobs. It stopped working and she left her phone and purse in the car and it locked. So she had no way to get into the car and if she was somewhere remote, she would have had no way to call anyone either. So I could totally see there is a small chance something like that might happen to someone else and they still might want a hidden keycard somewhere on the car. I wouldn't knock the idea, its just a safety precaution to be prepared for the unexpected.

I don't know about iOS, as I don't use an iPhone anymore, but with Android, even when my car was occasionally being dumb and wouldn't respond... I was still always able to just tap my phone to the B-Pillar to unlock the car, even if my phone was on airplane mode with all radios off... (airplane mode won't turn off NFC)

By the way, did your friend try tapping the key fob to the B-Pillar? The key fob has NFC too.... It's listed under hidden features of the key fob... I guess not many people know you can do that with the key fob. It says you can tap the key fob even when the battery in the fob is completely dead. I remember even the owners manual says you can use the key fob to tap the center console when adding removing keys... Only the keycard and the keyfob can do that... Tapping your phone doesn't work to add/remove keys... Only to lock/unlock/start the car.

Last edited: