Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitch problem at lease return?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a leased M3 LR and it’s almost time to return it. I had installed an Ecohitch and I wonder if I should remove it before the return. I really can’t find the information. Tesla return guide says Aftermarket items N/A. Do I gamble they won’t see it at inspection under the cover or will I be charge or they really don’t care. They could discover later on…

So wondering if anyone has experience with this.

Not exactly the same issue, but I asked Tesla about aftermarket items in a Model S that I’m trading in, and they told me to remove them. None of mine were permanently installed, so I don’t know if they’ll care about your hitch. However, it’s never a good idea to modify a leased car.

Good to ask, but most likely they would charge you to remove it since Tesla doesn't sell a tow hitch in North America and they probably don't want any liability that might come with selling the car with it. Just remove it and sell it to someone who wants it, so you can at least recoup some of the cost and not incur additional fees from Tesla.

Reactions: DocHolliday