Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returning Model 3 back to Lease Company. Help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning everyone,

I've scoured the forum for similar threads but couldn't find the specific information I'm looking for.

I'm returning my Model 3 after a three-and-a-half-year lease, and the collection/inspection is scheduled for the 20th of December.

I'm curious about the level of scrutiny the leasing company applies during the vehicle assessment. My car is generally in good condition, and I plan to give it a thorough valet a day before the inspection.

My main concern is that I haven't had the car serviced. Will this be checked, and if so, could it result in a fine? I've just done the usual recall fixes or warranty fixes via the app when needed.

Additionally, I've had to replace my tires three times due to punctures, opting for budget replacements each time. Could this decision lead to penalties during the inspection? I've also noticed some scuffs on the rims.

Any insights, advice, or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

The inspection will be conducted by Manheim Inspection Services on behalf of Novuna.

Thanks in advance.

:)

I'm sure you'll get many responses on here about the differing way lease companies have dealt with returns, so YMMV...

Personally, I have only returned one lease car (it was a private lease), but the car was in really good condition except for wheels, which were definitely well curbed. In this instance, there was nothing to pay (I must admit to being very surprised!).

My other car (a Tesla on a salary sacrifice) is due to go back in a few months, and the lease company (Arval) have actually sent me a 'price sheet' for all possible charges, and in honesty, it would appear cheaper to let them check it and charge me rather than try to get things done myself!

Reference your 'budget tyres', the document also says "All tyres, including any spare, must comply with the vehicle manufacturer recommendation of tyre type, size and speed rating" - however it states that the cost to the customer is £111 per tyre if that's not the case, which seems a bargain!

Lastly, on the servicing, Tesla says "Unlike gasoline cars, Tesla vehicles require no traditional oil changes, fuel filters, spark plug replacements or emission checks. Even brake pad replacements are rare because regenerative braking returns energy to the battery, significantly reducing wear on the brakes." The only thing on there for a Model 3 is "Replace your cabin air filter every 2 years."

Good luck, and let us know how it goes...

Reactions: ringi
I returned a non Tesla car back to lease. Use the BVRLA guide above it's really useful. Take pictures of everything that might be questioned. In my experience if it's being collected at your home it's the driver who collects inspects it. I had a ding which I sort of managed to pull out with hot glue and a puller but not 100%, he completely missed it! He said once he signs it off that's it, no more comeback.
With the servicing, there is no schedule, just recommend actions like cabin filters and brake fluid checks.
Tyres, again officially fitting non T0 rated tyres is allowed as long as they are the correct size/rating/load etc.

i returned mine earlier this year and the inspector had a Quick Look around but was more interested in the tea my wife made for them. I imagine it depends who you get but Manheim are the auction company so they’re probably doing this a lot and may go for the quick/easy approach.

They probably decide with 20 seconds of seeing the car based on a number the lease company provides and the instant view of the car. The inspection is only really needed if they need to narrow a gap or they’re having a bad day.

I'm curious on this one. I've gone through the exact same process however, I know that I'm considerably over on my annual mileage, around 1000 miles over. Does anyone have any experience as to how long it takes Black Horse to apply the excess mileage charge? Returned my car on the 19th December and heard nothing since.