Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Delivery what to expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I have a delivery scheduled for this week. Can anyone share experiences of what to expect? Paperwork, handover etc

My understanding is that you also have 2 days to find defects and report it? And even return?

I know things are disjointed at the moment and the process may not be consistent across the board but any tips would be helpful. Am current MS owner expecting a 3P. Thanks!!

Had a home delivery at the end of Q3. If it's like the craziness of that rush you may get an engineer, or someone whose job is not specifically to deliver your vehicle, delivering it to you. They'll have papers for you to sign, spend about 10min and their uber will be there. They told me I have 3 days to document any issues I'm having (obviously stuff under warranty will still be covered after that). They'll put the temporary registration on your windshield as well. Other than that, my delivery person didn't know much else and told me to contact the person that set up the delivery for more specific questions.

I was disappointed to have my car driven to my home by the employees, rather than it coming in a truck, though this might have been because Tesla got confused and the local folks didn’t know that a home delivery had been arranged by the national scheduler. I was told that I’d have more time to inspect the car compared to my picking it up, which is why I chose that method. They told me I had 24 hours to do the inspection, but I’ve found it’s really common to hear different policy details depending on whom you talk to on a given day (Tesla really needs to fix that). They did warn me that they had a finite time to do the delivery and an Uber driver would be sent regardless of if I needed more time for questions. Fortunately, I felt the amount of time I had was adequate though I also had seen enough YouTube videos to know how the car worked ahead of time.

Although it’s a little more convenient with a home delivery, I think you loose a tiny bit of the “wow’ experience that comes when you drive the car off the showroom’s lot. Lame as it sounds, I still have good feelings about when I purchased my Saturn, decades ago.

Although it’s a little more convenient with a home delivery, I think you loose a tiny bit of the “wow’ experience that comes when you drive the car off the showroom’s lot. Lame as it sounds, I still have good feelings about when I purchased my Saturn, decades ago.

From my understanding towards the end of Q3 people were receiving their cars outside in the parking lot, not inside the showroom. I could be wrong.

My home delivery, to a location 5 hours from the delivery center, involved the car sitting at the delivery center for 9 days with no update on delivery status, a random email verifying that I received the car, to which I called my delivery advisor, who thought the trucking company may have been calling the wrong number to contact me. This resulted in the trucking company contacting me a few minutes later, as I was leaving town on a Friday evening, to schedule delivery. FORTUNATELY, I was coming home the next afternoon and that fit with his schedule. Had I been gone all weekend, who knows.

Long story short, they didn't give me any lead time to plan for taking delivery, it just so happened to work out. It was on a wonderful enclosed transport, with a very communicable driver. The car was dirty from sitting out in Cleveland for 9 days, and it had paint issues that were documented by myself and the driver. Tesla is planning on "valeting" it in 2 weeks to make paint repairs.

I would confirm you are still getting home delivery. I was scheduled for this Friday and last Sunday it was changed on me without notice. When I called and ask I was told that all home delivery was only for the September push. I'm currently working on getting the car moved from the logistics center to the local SC for me to pick it up.