Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home detailing/coating - you can do it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm seeing alot of posts about people going to shops to get their MY detailed and then ceramic coated. I'm not talking about a wrap, just ceramic coating. Yet from my experience this is still quite expensive - from $800-$2000 depending on who you go to, and if it's cheaper then you have to wonder about their experience in detailing. I love having my car look good, even though I use it and it gets very dirty, I mean like off-road dirty. So a ceramic coat seemed like a good idea while the car still looks good and is new.

I called a friend of mine who owns a detailing shop that does coats, wraps, etc. I told him as much as we're friends I'm not paying you hundreds or thousands of $ to do my car. So he came over and showed me what to do while we had a beer. I ordered a clay bar and lube from Chemical Guys and I ordered Armor Shield IX from Avalon King (the same ceramic coating material my buddy uses and charges alot for). I used a discount code for the ceramic coat liquid to bring the cost to $40; with the clay bar I'm out a total of $65.

I washed the car using a mixture of Chemical Guys car suds and Palmolive soap, why dish soap you ask? Because my friend refuses to use Isopropyl Alcohol, as many detailers do, to remove previous waxes or any greases or coverings on the car, he says it's not good for people and bad for the car and environment (I'm not going to debate the merits of IPA so save your breath). But the dishsoap has degreasers in it and does the same thing. That plus the regular soft car suds/soap is a good combo. While the car was wet (after wash/scrub/rinse) I used the lube and I clay-barred the entire car panel by panel, as well as the glass. It took about an hour, it was just hard on my back. But I could feel the difference when I was done. All the little tiny bumps on the paint were gone. Then I washed the car once again using the regular car suds, and I blew it off with my blower, then dried it well with a microfiber car towel. All took about 1.5 hours.

Finally, it took me 2.5 hours to do every panel and window on the car with the ceramic coating. As I was instructed, I did small areas at a time, let it dry for one minute (it was 70F here) then buffed it with microfiber. All of the black trim was done as well, as was the entire windshield, roof glass and rear window. I haven't done the rims yet (I took my wheel covers off and bought a center T plug for each wheel, with lug covers, looks spiffy).

So, in a nutshell, if you are at least somewhat energetic (I'm 69 and not as energetic as I used to be) and want to take this task on yourself, you can have a spectacular looking car that is ceramic coated for about $65. I love detail shops, but I also like to save money. Plus, I have at least 2/3 of the bottle left (it's small but you use very little) so I can do my wife's BMW (although now that I think of it she has only driven the MY since we got it....hmmmm.) Enjoy!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200713_150215.jpg
    MVIMG_20200713_150215.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 144
Thanks for sharing. Really nice since. I just ordered my Y last Friday and was thinking about doing the same. I watched a couple of videos and thought I could do that. The only thing that concerned me was having to do any paint correction. I have a small DA buffer and fixed a couple of minor issues on past cars but by no means an expert. I'm hoping anything would be minor on my Y (fingers crossed) I just read that if you don't take care of the issues it will be difficult after the coating. Not sure if that's true since I never did it before. But it makes sense.

I was looking on the Chemical guys site and didn't know what to buy and what coating was good. At least this gives me some direction on what to buy while I wait for the car. Also good tip about dish soap. I've used Dawn every time before I would wax a car. I really believe it helps get the old wax off.

I'm getting at that age where I'm getting winded just taking everything out to wash but I do feel that it can be done. The cheap bastard in me likes to save money! :)

I'm seeing alot of posts about people going to shops to get their MY detailed and then ceramic coated. I'm not talking about a wrap, just ceramic coating. Yet from my experience this is still quite expensive - from $800-$2000 depending on who you go to, and if it's cheaper then you have to wonder about their experience in detailing. I love having my car look good, even though I use it and it gets very dirty, I mean like off-road dirty. So a ceramic coat seemed like a good idea while the car still looks good and is new.

I called a friend of mine who owns a detailing shop that does coats, wraps, etc. I told him as much as we're friends I'm not paying you hundreds or thousands of $ to do my car. So he came over and showed me what to do while we had a beer. I ordered a clay bar and lube from Chemical Guys and I ordered Armor Shield IX from Avalon King (the same ceramic coating material my buddy uses and charges alot for). I used a discount code for the ceramic coat liquid to bring the cost to $40; with the clay bar I'm out a total of $65.

I washed the car using a mixture of Chemical Guys car suds and Palmolive soap, why dish soap you ask? Because my friend refuses to use Isopropyl Alcohol, as many detailers do, to remove previous waxes or any greases or coverings on the car, he says it's not good for people and bad for the car and environment (I'm not going to debate the merits of IPA so save your breath). But the dishsoap has degreasers in it and does the same thing. That plus the regular soft car suds/soap is a good combo. While the car was wet (after wash/scrub/rinse) I used the lube and I clay-barred the entire car panel by panel, as well as the glass. It took about an hour, it was just hard on my back. But I could feel the difference when I was done. All the little tiny bumps on the paint were gone. Then I washed the car once again using the regular car suds, and I blew it off with my blower, then dried it well with a microfiber car towel. All took about 1.5 hours.

Finally, it took me 2.5 hours to do every panel and window on the car with the ceramic coating. As I was instructed, I did small areas at a time, let it dry for one minute (it was 70F here) then buffed it with microfiber. All of the black trim was done as well, as was the entire windshield, roof glass and rear window. I haven't done the rims yet (I took my wheel covers off and bought a center T plug for each wheel, with lug covers, looks spiffy).

So, in a nutshell, if you are at least somewhat energetic (I'm 69 and not as energetic as I used to be) and want to take this task on yourself, you can have a spectacular looking car that is ceramic coated for about $65. I love detail shops, but I also like to save money. Plus, I have at least 2/3 of the bottle left (it's small but you use very little) so I can do my wife's BMW (although now that I think of it she has only driven the MY since we got it....hmmmm.) Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing your experience! Definitely giving me confidence to just go at it myself. Might just get it PPF'd and then do the ceramic coating per your method :)

Nice post. In my opinion, ceramic coating is a fairly straightforward DIY as long as you have the right tools (clay bar, DA random orbital, one-step polish, microfibers, a covered area, etc). Adams offers a nice ceramic kit for $100 which lasts 3-4 years. AvalonKing and CQuartz are popular ones. The Last Coat offers "Black Ice" which supposedly lasts 12-18 months. All of these are pretty easy to apply and offer similar - if not the same - results as a pro detailer.

It just takes a lot of patience. Wash -> Clay Bar -> Polish -> IPA wipe -> Ceramic Coating (sometimes 2 coats!). It's worth the result and costs significantly less than DIY.

My Model Y is 2 months old and has about 1,100 miles on it. I'm about to DIY apply PPF and then ceramic coat.

Reactions: wmself