Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Second Remote Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm having an issue with Homelink. I can successfully code two locations individually (my garage and my parent's garage) but yet when I add the second Homelink it always unprogrames the first. It doesn't matter which order they are added.

The first Homelink location is still stored but had 'Not Programmed' under the name.

Recoding the first one at the original location then unprogrames the second one again.

Any ideas on how to get both to stick.

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with Homelink. I can successfully code two locations individually (my garage and my parent's garage) but yet when I add the second Homelink it always unprogrames the first. It doesn't matter which order they are added.

The first Homelink location is still stored but had 'Not Programmed' under the name.

Recoding the first one at the original location then unprogrames the second one again.

Any ideas on how to get both to stick.

Thanks
Interesting, I’ve had no problem programming all 3 of our garage doors to both our Model 3 & our Model S.
The only thing different in your circumstance is the fact that the two garage doors are not located in close proximity to each other.
Just wondering if this is a possible imitation? Perhaps there is only one GPS location stored for all garage door frequencies. And by adding a new location the system assumes you are re-programming all of them.
If either location has multiple doors, I’d recommend that you try programming 2 garage doors at the same location to see if that works.
If anybody has successfully program multiple garage doors from different GPS locations they should chime in here.
I don’t have an experience with this.

I would have thought multiple locations would be fine (thinking of work and home garages). I will actually try the second garage at my home.

The only other thing I was thinking of is the garages are completely different brands with different remotes. I was wondering if the Tesla was only able to use one format. My parent's house can be coded directly from the remote without pressing any buttons on the garage hardware itself. My home requires a learning process.

Interested to see if anyone else has anything to add.

Thanks

No idea why adding a new one of any type would change others unless the openers are identical and the remotes are the same enough. When I programmed our two cars I had to use a separate button on the original remote for the second car (for the same opener) which doesn’t make any sense but it wouldn’t work elsewise.

I’m wondering if these are the same manufacturer in both places then using the same remote for both locations and trying the second button on the same remote may fix it? Again, makes no sense but Homelink is completely weird the hoops you need to jump through. Doing button one for both may be the issue?

Thanks for the reply. Both locations are seperate remotes and different systems/manufacturers. My remote isn't compatible with the second garage (we tried to program that some time back). That's what made me think that Tesla may only be able to use one encoding format at once.

I've managed to get my garage relinked using Receiver Mode rather than Standard. Next time I'm at the other location I'll try adding that in the new mode as well (without using the remotes).