Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hood latch cable, how to separate ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello roadster fellows :)

I'm in the process of dismounting the left front fender. So far everything'd ok, but I'm wondering what to do with the hood unlocking cable.

Here you see the thick black cable running under the fender, and it goes out on the other side. So I need to separate the cable in two if I want to be able to put the fender away.

image_1.jpg

How do I do this? My guess would be to simply "unscrew" the 2 bolts we can see on the picture between the 2 sides of the cable, but is it the proper way to do this? I don't want to break something...

Here is the cable coming out from under the fender to the latch system

image_2.jpg

Thanks and happy sunday to yall :)

Oh I see, I was looking at the wrong place then :)

Thanks a lot MLauto that's really helpfull.

By the way, as we're at it, is there a way to adjust the height of the latch, other than screwing the 3 screw as high as possible. I saw 2 Allen bolt on the side of the latch, do they serve such a purpose? I'm asking because when I close the hood some parts are touching the fenders and the painting becomes damaged at contact points. I think a few mm higher would resolve that.

Thanks again and best regards

:)

The two Allen bolts are the main adjustment. The three that hold the latch to the fender have only a little. Check the little rubber bump stop and verify it is high enough to keep the hood from going down too far. Also check the clearances on the side from each fender and make sure they are even, if not you can adjust the fenders so they match. There are only two bolts on each fender that adjust that gap by the latch.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
More on the same theme of sorts...
My hood will not close proparly. On the deiverside the hood will not close. It seems the mechanism is slow / cable is slow and need some love. Any pointers ?

You can adjust the cable at the junction near the firewall (OP's 1st pic above). Put some slack in the cable and see if you can get the latch to function properly-don't shut the hood, just use a screwdriver to close the latch. If you get it too loose and close the hood, you might not be able to get it open. If you still can't get it to work properly you will have to try to drip some oil down the ends of the cable. It is easier to have someone in the car pulling the handle while you work the latch with a screwdriver to see exactly what is going on (and disperse the oil). If you adjust the cable, just make sure to adjust them both so they release at the same time.

You can adjust the cable at the junction near the firewall (OP's 1st pic above). Put some slack in the cable and see if you can get the latch to function properly-don't shut the hood, just use a screwdriver to close the latch. If you get it too loose and close the hood, you might not be able to get it open. If you still can't get it to work properly you will have to try to drip some oil down the ends of the cable. It is easier to have someone in the car pulling the handle while you work the latch with a screwdriver to see exactly what is going on (and disperse the oil). If you adjust the cable, just make sure to adjust them both so they release at the same time.
Than you for the advices. I will get on it and see what I can do.

The two Allen bolts are the main adjustment. The three that hold the latch to the fender have only a little. Check the little rubber bump stop and verify it is high enough to keep the hood from going down too far. Also check the clearances on the side from each fender and make sure they are even, if not you can adjust the fenders so they match. There are only two bolts on each fender that adjust that gap by the latch.

Hello MLAUTO, and thanks for the reply. I think the rubber bumpers are high enough. When I close the hood, they stop it before it goes too far down and it doesn't touch the fenders sides. But when I apply pressure to close the latches, then the hood goes down enough to touch and scratch the fenders.

Latches are already as high as possible. I'll have to study that again. I'll update the thread with some pictures.

Have a nice day :)