Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MX Low voltage (15.1VDC) Battery Recharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
I watched a YouTube video that said that once the car is fully charged, the low-voltage battery will no longer be charged. So, when one leaves the car on the charger, but still not driven, (as in the COVID shutdown) the low-voltage battery would (in his words) "go flat" (run down).

I find this hard to believe.

He also mentioned a way to get into the frunk by accessing a pair of cables tucked under the wheel well molding on both sides of the car. I see that there is an emergency release latch that can be accessed from inside the frunk but no mention of these external cables. The Owner's Manual does not mention any other way to get the frunk open--other than using the key fob, app, or from the inside console. The point is, if the low-voltage battery is dead, how do you get the frunk open to recharge it? At one time I saw a hack to use a 9VDC battery to trigger the latch. I don't see a reference to that either.

I don't believe that the you-tube video you watched is correct. The high voltage battery keeps the 12 volt battery charged... or if you have the new model X, the 16 volt battery charged. I have the 2018 MX 100D and that uses the 12 volt battery. You did not say what model X you have.

To get into the Frunk of the model S, you have to pull the cables from the right and left front wheel wells. For the model X there is a rubber cover on the front of the drivers side air inlet that gets pulled off and there are two cables there that you have to pull in sequence, first #1 and then #2 and the funk will open. Read the operating manual on your car

I have a 2023 (Feb) MX. When rechecking the OM, I discovered that I had referenced the wrong year (despite having Googled for MX 2023). The OM says to open the air vent at the front of the vehicle and connect the exposed wires to a 12VDC jump-start battery. I carry such a battery but it's in the frunk... catch 22.
Thanks for the tips. It seems there are as many ways to access the frunk as there are variations of the models.