Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MY Driver side mirror wiring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Newbie here. Driver’s side mirror on 2020 Y got clipped, tore apart the assembly, and cut some of the wiring. I managed to put most of the parts back together (awaiting a skull cap that I bought on fleabay). Need advice as far as the wiring. Can/should I solder the wires back together? What size wires should i get if necessary? Two wires I’m not sure where they go (see arrows going to holes in pic). Not pictured are 2 wires with plastic ends that slide into a connector somewhere. Is it necessary to disconnect 12 V or just disconnect cable where it clips inside door panel, or neither necessary? Thanks,
RL
IMG_5346.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5346.jpeg
    IMG_5346.jpeg
    400.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5348.jpeg
    IMG_5348.jpeg
    495.6 KB · Views: 4
Hello,
Newbie here. Driver’s side mirror on 2020 Y got clipped, tore apart the assembly, and cut some of the wiring. I managed to put most of the parts back together (awaiting a skull cap that I bought on fleabay). Need advice as far as the wiring. Can/should I solder the wires back together? What size wires should i get if necessary? Two wires I’m not sure where they go (see arrows going to holes in pic). Not pictured are 2 wires with plastic ends that slide into a connector somewhere. Is it necessary to disconnect 12 V or just disconnect cable where it clips inside door panel, or neither necessary? Thanks,
RL
View attachment 1036248

Just an update, I was able to solder and reconnect the severed wires using 18 or 20 gauge wire from a test kit (wires with alligators clips). Only thing i havent tested for is the heat and defrost feature but everything else is functional. Also my mirror did not come with auto dimming feature. I do plan on replacing the mirror with a new one as the vertical triangular alloy/soft metal piece that bolts on body (behind tweeter speaker) )cracked and separated from the main body. I’m concerned that the vibration will loosen the mirror eventually.
One thing to note when you’re removing the mirror by unscrewing the 3 bolts, a washer (behind the lower right bolt - picture a triangle in you head) will likely fall inside the door as your lifting and pulling the mirror out. It may help having another person remove the mirror while you try and secure the washer.

I retrieved the washer by removing all the bolts securing the hard plastic panel with wire harness and speaker and reaching inside the bottom part. I could not remove the entire panel as there were 2 spots (circled in pic) that would not budge at all and i was concerned of damaging it. Let me know if I should have just forcefully tugged on it.
Thanks.
RL

Attachments

• IMG_5362.jpeg
    IMG_5362.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5373.jpeg
    IMG_5373.jpeg
    386.7 KB · Views: 4