Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hope your batteries stay full in the NE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hydro System

I have a micro hydro system designed for 400 watts at 48 volts DC.

My water source is a seasonal stream with 47 feet of head. I use 25 to 100 GPM from it. It provided about 10% of my electric needs. Solar provided the rest of my electric needs.

I have a 4” heat fused HDPE penstock 320’ long buried. I found the HDPE surplus at the local university. I purchased it and rented their heat fusing machine. I fabricated my own screened intake.

I had an outback grid tie 48 volt solar system. The output from my turbine was tied directly into the batteries. The solar charge controller I had I used an output from it to drive a relay to a dump load to dump excess power from the turbine in case of a total system failure. I wanted to have a place for the power to always go. Never really needed it with the battery system.

I have upgraded to an AC coupled system using Enphase micro inverters on 15,000 watts of solar to a quad Tesla Powerwall system.

With an AC coupled system I needed AC from the turbine. It puts out wild 3 phase AC that is regulated thru diodes to DC. Hydro induction recommended a cheap Chinese inverter made for wild AC from wind or hydro turbines that also has a dump load feature. It works pretty well.

Micro Hydro companies

Intro

Micro Hydro Power - West Coast Green

the one I have:

Hydro induction power LV400 for 48 volt

HI Power Products and Price List

ESD

https://microhydropower.com/our-products/

Attachments

• penstock valve header.jpg
    penstock valve header.jpg
    980.1 KB · Views: 48