Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Houston Area to Big Bend National Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like a good trip. On my recent road trip I stopped at as many chargers on the way out as possible. Then on the way back, I had a lot more knowledge about what was nearby, which ones were easy to access and so forth. It made the return go pretty fast.

I would expect that west of San Antonio you'd have to stick closely to Interstate 10 as much as possible and not pass by a Supercharger. I'd also plan to bring the 120 charger, the 14-50 pigtail, the charger adaptor for ChargePoint and be ready for the unexpected.

If you can find a hotel with charging in the Big Bend area, that would be worth the extra dollar or two.

Enjoy and I look forward to reading the trip report. As a Texas native, I've still never been to Big Bend and it is on the list.

I recently did a trip from North Carolina to the Davis Mountains. Like @get-atty said, east of I-35 you should have no trouble with supercharging, but west of there, I'd stay on I-10 until Fort Stockton where you can charge up one last time before heading to Big Bend. You'll definitely need to charge at Level 2 speed somewhere to get back to Fort Stockton.

(Btw, that Fort Stockton supercharger location is one of the few I've seen that has buckets of window cleaner and squeegees right by the pedestals.)

A NEMA 14-50 adapter would allow you to stay at an RV campground and charge on their lead, and several of them also have small hotels or cabins, if you don't want to rough it. There are also traditional hotels with Level 2 charging in Marfa, Alpine, and Fort Davis.