Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV manufacture limit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone told me that each manufacture has a limit to how many HOV stickers each of them can receive. I know this is true for the federal tax credit but never heard of a manufacture limit on them.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a model S shortly and the driving factor is the HOV sticker. Would like to confirm this before i commit.

Also, can you receive an HOV sticker if you purchased it CPO from Tesla or even craigslist?

HOV lane stickers are different from the tax incentives. Way back when the Prius was new, they had the yellow carpool stickers, those had a time limit of 2.5 years or there about and were limited to 75,000 stickers for the state of California. Then came the white stickers for zero emission and compressed gas vehicles and the green stickers for plug in hybrids. There is no limit to these (i believe) and cost me $8 from DMV. Both the green and white stickers were extended to January 2019 expiration, should have already expired this year. As for the question on where you bought it from, I don't think it matters because you are registering the car for stickers with DMV. Check with the DMV regardless of what I wrote, hope it helps anyway.

Currently in CA, there is no limit on the number of white clean air decals (although they are set to expire on 1/1/2019 unless extended). The green decals had reached their 85,000 statutory cap last year, but this limit was removed this past September.

If you're purchasing a used car that already has the decals, see the info from the DMV below:

5. Q: I acquired a vehicle with CAV decals and transferred it into my name. Do I also have to transfer the CAV decal ownership into my name?

A: Yes. If you purchase a vehicle with existing decals, you must transfer the decals to your name using the Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decal (REG 1000) form. There is no cost provided that all required CAV decals are present on the vehicle. You will be issued a new CAV decal ID card with your name once your CAV decal transfer application is processed.

Currently in CA, there is no limit on the number of white clean air decals (although they are set to expire on 1/1/2019 unless extended). The green decals had reached their 85,000 statutory cap last year, but this limit was removed this past September.

If you're purchasing a used car that already has the decals, see the info from the DMV below:

5. Q: I acquired a vehicle with CAV decals and transferred it into my name. Do I also have to transfer the CAV decal ownership into my name?

A: Yes. If you purchase a vehicle with existing decals, you must transfer the decals to your name using the Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decal (REG 1000) form. There is no cost provided that all required CAV decals are present on the vehicle. You will be issued a new CAV decal ID card with your name once your CAV decal transfer application is processed.

I saw that when I was doing my research as well... but what the real question is what if the used car does not have one? As john said, it shouldn't matter but I just wanted to see if anyone purchased a used car and simply request for a sticker after the plate arrives with no problem.

This would also help me decide if I want a new S70 or a used S85 with more options for the same $$

I saw that when I was doing my research as well... but what the real question is what if the used car does not have one? As john said, it shouldn't matter but I just wanted to see if anyone purchased a used car and simply request for a sticker after the plate arrives with no problem.

This would also help me decide if I want a new S70 or a used S85 with more options for the same $$
I bought a CPO in June and once I got the registration, sent in for the decals. Form was returned to me since the original owner removed the decals before trading in. I had to check the box stating that the previous owner did not pass them to me. Caused a 4-week delay but I eventually got them.