Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are CDN/US vehicles different?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One other difference is the Canadian cars are more expensive. They don't qualify for duty-free import under NAFTA because of the value of the Japanese cells in the battery pack.

If you compare models strictly on a cost basis and look at exchange rates (ignoring any duties), it's actually a deal for CDN's right now...
70D works out to 1.107 exch rate
85D works out to 1.148 exch rate
P85D works out to 1.138 exch rate

Given a USD costs about 1.26 right now we aren't getting completely hosed, and it is cheaper to buy the car here rather than Stateside which is a bit unusual for this industry.

Does your car have visible vents in the dashboard?

Right. I had the dash display in mind when I wrote that. Yes, mine had the original design defroster vents and I had Tesla upgrade it soon after getting the car, based on the experiences you had posted. I actually thought all cars were coming with the new defroster vents now, not just those with the Cold Weather Package.

- - - Updated - - -

If you compare models strictly on a cost basis and look at exchange rates (ignoring any duties), it's actually a deal for CDN's right now...

Interesting. I didn't check current pricing and was going back to when I ordered mine pre-production. It was when they announced that the import duty would apply that I decided against a Sig, saving the money to pay the extra tax.:cursing:

Hopefully all Canadian cars have the upgraded vents. It was true after they upgraded mine, but I don't know if that changed after they brought out the cold weather package.

If you are talking about the openings under the windshield, then yes. Mine has the winter package and came with vents. Newer cars have them as well (I had two loaners and saw the ones at the SC in Montreal).

Good. It would be foolish to sell a car here without them, unless it was only going to be summer driven. (Sounds like they tried doing it for a while though...)

When I had mine replaced in early 2013, the Service Center must have been doing a lot of retrofits because they had the old pieces stacked up like cordwood on one of the work benches.