Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences between US vs Canadian Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kersk

May 28, 2022
BC
I've currently got a US model 3 that I've temporarily brought into Canada, but I'm thinking about upgrading to a newer model 3 that I'd buy new here just because the import process is so painful and then I'd sell my current car in the US.

I'm wondering if there are any functional differences between US vs Canadian Model 3's? For example, does the touchscreen lock you out if you're moving above a certain speed, headlights are forced to always be on, or anything like that?

I've currently got a US model 3 that I've temporarily brought into Canada, but I'm thinking about upgrading to a newer model 3 that I'd buy new here just because the import process is so painful and then I'd sell my current car in the US.
A year ago I imported my US 2018 Model 3 and registered it in BC. Did not find the process too onerous and did not have to make any changes to the car except was required to remove the aftermarket side window tinting I had applied a few years ago.

The differences between an early 3 and a current one seem minor to me. What is it that attracts you to the latest Model 3?

A year ago I imported my US 2018 Model 3 and registered it in BC. Did not find the process too onerous and did not have to make any changes to the car except was required to remove the aftermarket side window tinting I had applied a few years ago.

The differences between an early 3 and a current one seem minor to me. What is it that attracts you to the latest Model 3?

Just mainly dealing with having to cross the border back to the US (on a work permit without guaranteed re-entry + border covid restrictions), export the car (which I think requires the car to have been in the US for the past 72 hours?), get the open recall for my car resolved (some bs about the backup camera can fail if the trunk is opened too much), plus I'm not sure if I can even get my US model 3 serviced at a Canadian tesla service center, paying the huge import taxes on the vehicle value which could go towards upgrading to a newer model instead, etc.